1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Socket 939 Waterblock - Sketchup

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RotoSequence, 5 Jan 2006.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Currently designed as a socket 939 3/8" tubing copper waterblock with a plexiglass lid. Yes, this thing is supposed to be super small ;)

[​IMG]

Criticisms? Critiques? Suggestions?

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

I would ensure you have enough side tollerences to get the hoses in from the sides, mobo's are notorious for doing **** like putting capacitors right next to the CPU.

3. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I would definitely use acetal for the lid. It can handle more load and sheering forces over-time than polycarbonate.

What about gasketing the edges? Or are you sealing it with an epoxy or some other kind of sealant?

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Yeah, this will be sealed. Right now, the sketchup is only for basic modeling. Such details as sealant dont really need to be made right now.

5. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

Well, for one, and it's been mentioned, you will have to be extra careful with the motherboard, having the inlet/outlet on the side is just asking for complications.

Two, what kinda size is the die on an A64? Will those two blocks of pins at either end actually cool anything significant? Or is it just pressure drop for not much gain? If you wanna go the maze route, I'd probably make the centre channel a bit wider (with more pins, maybe not neccessary if it cools the entire die already), and have the two outer channels free of pins, to aid flow.

6. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

Are you planning on using screw in barbs in the inlet and outlet holes? If you are I'd be concerned about having enough threads to engage for proper sealing and strength since you have extremely thin walls.

Also, have you given much thought to how you are going to make this? The depth of the channels is much deeper than I'd consider attempting with such a small end mill in copper and I can't see any other way to do the job. It looks like the channels are so thin that they will have to be cut their full width in one shot (as oopsed to roughing the pocket and then finishing the sides) which loads up the cutter very badly.

If the channels must have this depth to width ratio I would look into modifying the design so that you can cut the channels with a slitting saw.