1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Software Pirate to pay $205,000 USD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Serves him right. I'm not gonna stand on the moral high ground here and claim I have never downloaded anything, but I will say that I was never stupid enough to try and sell stolen materials on ebay.

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

That's pretty good, considering that half the time, buy a console with discs as a media on there, and get a spindle of burned games free, lol.

4. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

But who would want to by NA in the first place? Well obviously someone but wow!

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Whilst I too am not entirely guilt free of downloading things, I would agree with punishing people who do it on mass, and make a profit out of it. For them to whack such a big fine, and for him to just accept it without argument (as the article would have us believe), I'm inclined to think $205,000 is probably quite an accurate and reasonable fine. Maybe in this case $505,000 would have actually been excessive, for all we know he made hundreds of thousands of dollars profit from this.

6. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Haha! I'll add that distributing NAV would certainly qualify as some kind of terrorism ... :D

Anyways .... serves him right. Selling stuff you don't own ... pff ...
    (oc, owning stuff you don't own is another matter entirely :hip: )

cheers.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

People buy pirated software? Surely thats completely against the point?

8. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

They might be buying it thinking it's legit i suppose. People buy pirated dvd's etc from car boots all the time though..

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I dont buy or sell pirated stuff but I have downloaded it but I dont distribute it to anyone either.. Pretty much everyone has downloaded something that they have not bought. But im really against anyone selling or buying pirated stuff.

I dont think the fine is big enough.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

well done, guys like this make me sick, making a profit from the work from other people is just wrong.

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

pirating software is one thing

making a profit on pirated software is another thing

pirating software is very shaky ground, but fortunately unless you become a large blip, your likely to get away with it
    Start selling software and making a profit, your gonna become a target in no time at all

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm sure the guy deserved it, and its really not smart to sell pirated software. Everyone else is lucky that they have this warning.

I clicked on this article thinking it was about thepiratebay, because I saw the word pirate and the word "pay" is very similar to "bay", and I saw lots of zeroes, so I had to see what was going on.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good stuff. I'm not going to be drawn into any morality of piracy arguement, but certainly any that exist stand on the idea of no-one making money from stuff, not on different people making money from stuff.

This person got what they had coming.

Tags: Add Tags