1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks [Solved] wireless card problems??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by blinkieleblind, 19 Apr 2012.

1. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Hi,

My partner has just bought a lenovo thinkpad as the netbook i gave her started to die. Part of the problem was that the net started to be really slow so she assumed it was the wireless card. so she got her lenovo and installed chrome.

Now it appears that the slow page loading has resurfaced on her new lenovo.

here is what i have tried:

- checked Chrome under the hood stuff and disabled DNS pre-fetching feature

- cleared cache and browsing history

- installed firefox (same issue slow searching/loading).

-Then i used speedtest just to test the connection whilst doing it simultaneously on my asus zenbook. Here is where i noticed something of interest.
    -- the download speeds and ping were fine but on her machine the system took ages to connect for upload and then her upload speed finally ended at 0.05 Mbps (mine was about 0.49 Mbps iirc )

What could be causing this issue? i have installed spybot s & d, adaware and AVG on her machine (dont know if she did initial scans).

This is the machine she got.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...000252:&smid=7DC88DC46B8321F759F36448171B2BD2

cpu: core i-3
    ram: 2gb
    HDD: 320gb

Please help as i persuaded her that the lenovo had the best value over her other 'netbook' choices.

Thanks in advance. :duh::wallbash:

Last edited: 21 Apr 2012
  2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

sounds like the connection is 802.11b instead of g (or n). can you confirm the router is not broadcasting for b?

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

4. blinkieleblind

thanks for the responses. I will check these suggestions when i get home from work today.

I can't imagine it being the router as this lappy im using is connected to the same one. Also, out of the box everything worked fine briefly so im wondering if there is a software conflict somewhere.

once again, thanks.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Did it come with preinstalled AV? I've heard things with the mcafee causing issues in the past?

6. blinkieleblind

Thank you all for help.

it turned out that adaware has an antivirus program which was conflicting with something else. As i had run adaware, spybot and avg together on other machines i initially dismissed these conflicting as the issue; this adaware av thing i hadnt seen before though. As soon as i saw it in the programs list i had my eureka moment.

My gf's lappy now works a treat and i get brownie points.....if you know what i mean ;)