1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Speeding Up Cable Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TJK, 19 May 2006.

1. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

I have high-speed cable internet right now - 5mbps down and less than 1mbps up - is there anyway to change my router RTP300 - its a linksys, with the 2 vonage phone ports in it, Firmware Version: 1.00.62. I often get 6 or 7mbps, but then drop to 2 or 3 for no apparent reason. Can i change the MTU, or anything to get a higher download and upload speed?

2. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

The drop is caused by more traffic on your local exchange.

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

The drop could also be caused due to faulty or bad wiring into the cable modem.
    disconnect the cable wire from the cable modem and plug into a TV and see if the channels look fuzzy.

Another trick is to call up your ISP and tell them that the TV is getting really fuzzyy during the times you get slow internet (but don't mention the slow internet.) Also, let them know it isn't to do with faulty cables. The local cable provider here ups the output strength for the neighborhood and therefore getting a bit better connection.

4. customh

customh conflagration.

I should try that...

Tags: