1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Started my own watch brand!

Discussion in 'General' started by sakzzz, 12 Sep 2016.

1. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hello guys,

After gaming ,case modding and tinkering hardware for a long time, I started working on another passion of mine - WATCHES!

Recently, I had shared in the forum my journey to build a watch "microbrand" starting with a design from scratch, getting it manufactured and ultimately launching my kickstarter campaign which is currently live.

Its an aviation inspired automatic watch that is quite unique in terms of the execution. You can see more about it here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/392494193/sastek-watches-time-speed-indicator

[​IMG]

Just though of sharing with the forum. Every share of the campaign helps. Incase you know any watch aficionados out there, a mention about the watch would be highly appreciated! ;)

Cheers

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Think you'll bust your target no problem, that is a lovely looking watch.

You planning a limited run only or if it goes well is mass production a possibility?

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So here's something I've been looking for for a long time and no one makes...

I want a watch with a thick stainless bezel like you would see on a dive watch, but in a digital. Doesn't need a pile of features, just time and date with a decent backlight. Indestructible would be nice too.

Something to think about for a future product.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

For the balls of doing it and because you're a longtime member you've just got yourself 265 quid. Looking forward to it!

How is it powered? Do you plan one with a date (could I delay on that)

[Although with gritted teeth I'll admit the couple of past Kickstarters I've supported have been disappointing, but I still have faith! ;)]

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Fair play for starting your own brand its not easy to do all the backend stuff. Does look very nice as well, Come payday money allowing you may have an extra backer.

6. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That's a nice looking timepiece. You've managed to nail a unique look without it being weird or tacky, which is really cool. I have surprisingly dinky wrists and thick watches end up looking ridiculous as a result though, so even though this is 9.5mm, I would have to see it in the flesh before making any decisions.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Don't really need a watch, and not really into aero stuff, but I do think that looks great!

5ATM, from a quick google that means it can be used if swimming etc?

Think you may have another backer soon :D

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

^This. I have small wrists and big watches swamp me. I also don't like them loose on my wrist.
    Great work, and good to see it again (I'm sure it was posted here in the dim & distant past) - does the centre 'swirl' rotate to indicate seconds? There's no mention of that anywhere.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

On the kick starter page, the winder logo/character looks like the Aphex Twin logo.... I'd buy one for that alone!!

[​IMG]

10. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hello guys, firstly, I really appreciate your kind comments. It means a lot! On this forum, everyone is quite appreciative of case mods, scratch builds. Going from that into watches, its a tough crowd to please! :D

11. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hope I do spade. To be honest, making the watch was the easy bit. Marketing it is just a nightmare! Costs of 750-1000$ on "paid editorials" is the norm !:jawdrop:

It would be 300 watches initially. Lets see how things pan out. But , I wouldn't be mass marketing it, would be fairly niche.

12. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hi Bindi,

Its powered by a Japanese Miyota 9015 automatic movement. In bit-tech speak, its not a water cooled dual GPU titan card (i.e. a swiss movement) but its the best bang for the buck with great performance and Japanese reliability. The date option is not feasible with this design since it gets shadowed by the minutes window.

A lot of other kickstarters are done by marketing professionals trying to sell a premade idea off Alibaba. This one is done by an engineer and I aim to deliver it with the same accuracy:thumb:

13. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hi George, Generally swimming is not recommended at 5atm for practical use. Also, with leather straps, there is risk of ruining them through water exposure. Its ok for day-day splashes, OK if u end up showering with it but not swimming.

Cheers!

14. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hi Maki,

I too have thin wrists! For reference, you can see my campaign photos. My wrist size is 6 1/2 inch.

15. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Hi Arboreal,

That is correct, the seconds disc is modelled along the lines of a jet engine spinner. With the automatic movement underneath, it rotates gently indicating seconds .

16. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Between us Bit-tech guys! The Lambda logo is inspired from my hours playing Half life !:hehe::hehe:

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks, I did find it mentioned when I dug deeper in your website later on.

Ahhh, I was looking tonight and thinking Half Life... The only bit I'm not so taken with is the pilot head on the back, but would never see it anyway.

Again, really great work, sakzz :thumb:

I do want but don't need...

I shall look at my finances and see how it looks, as it is a great opportunity for something interesting and a personal inspiration - you could be the next Christopher Ward (in a complimentary way, to avoid any possible confusion!)

Good luck with the financing, you look like you've got off to a good start

Last edited: 14 Sep 2016
  18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Noted and thanks. Yea I don't trust most KS's, but looking forward to this in 2017. My birthday is in Feb, so hope you can deliver then ;)

As for paid advertorials, display ads, DONT BOTHER. Facebook and Twitter advertising is FAR more cost effective and bespoke directed. not sure LinkedIn, but those users have FAR more disposable income.
    Build a social following and it will more likely snowball. Mag advertising can be quite effective in the right mag as they dont have adblock and eyes-on-page time is far far more than online. Issue are difficult to measure, limited to one country and fixed fees.

19. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

I do have facebook adverts running, however, struggling to convert them into a pledge. Suggestions for an "ad expert" would be appreciated.

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

At first glance I really loved this, especially the orange/black combo :)

But on further reading/looking one thing that bugs me is the fact that the minutes rotates anti-clockwise, why?
    I cant find a reason on the KS page...