1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid HardDrive 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xmanica, 1 May 2002.

1. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

I have always had problems with my 6 GB hard drive not having enough room to store all my games... Recently, I deleted Diablo II from my hard drive to make more room, freeing up about 1.8 GB... and i emptied the recycle bin. Earlier today, I was about to install Baldur's Gate when I discovered I had only 200 MB free. I checked through all the folders on the hard drive, and all seemed to be in order. No extremely large files had been added. 1400 MB of disk space had suddenly "disappeared". Furthermore, I decided to add up the sizes of the folders on my drive... they totaled 4.3 GB. In the properties of my drive it lists the used space as 5.7 GB. I seem to temporarily gain the space back, bit by bit... ive gotten up to 342 mb... but then when i check it merely seconds later its back to 285 or 240. :cries: Whats the problem??

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

what os?? sounds like sometthing is eating space for virtual ram like hell....you do loose a bit of space if you have partitioned....but not that much...:eyebrow:

3. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

no partitions, win98 SE. Also, my computer using no programs uses 47% of my RAM. why would just running win98 and taskbar things take 125 or 126 MB of RAM?

4. felix the cat

aaaa....win 98....definatly that chewing up your hdd space for virtual ram....

thats the advantage of 2k over 98 it clears out its memory....win 98 keeps fill up till a bsod arrives....or maybe its just me and me hating winblows98....

5. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

Hmm... somethin i forgot to mention. The same thing happened to me last time i deleted D2... eventually the HDD space just reappeared. If it is virtual ram, how do i undo it? im DYIN for baldurs gate :cries:

6. felix the cat

install win2k??

no seriously if you choose to see all the hidden files on your hdd, see wether it all adds up to 6 gigs and then find the biggest file which should be the virtual ram file....delete it and it will create itself again upon rebooting...

this HAS worked before but im not taking ANY responsobility if it dont work for you...

o yeah in win2k the virtual mem file is called: pagefile.sys and its 768mb big...as it should be 1.5 times ur actual amount of ram....

hope it helps...

7. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

Hmm... cant seem to find a file like that online. :sigh: I guess ill just have to wait till the guys at protonic email me back.....

8. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

you could buy a new hard drive as they are not that expensive and you can get a 40gb for about £80 (don't get ibm). I doubt you will get baldurs gate on your pc uless you run everything off the cds. I did a full install of it and it took up 2.5gb og my hard drive. I installed the second one as well and that made the blackisle folder about 5gb in total.

9. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

manually set the vram size

cant remember what the exact way tio do that on a non xp machine is tho

10. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

Guys, I still dont think its the vram... u shouldnt get 1.4 GB taken up with 256 MB of real ram. Also, im workin on a new HDD... but I have no $. Spent it all on my new shiny black dragon and Enermax psu :D

Last edited: 2 May 2002
  11. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

get either partition magic or system commander
    and change your cluster size, should be able to free up a decent chunk that way..

also, im assuming youve done a manual scandisk or chkdisk /f on the drive, could be possible your free space is being incorrectly reported..

-scoob8000

12. xmanica

xmanica What's a Dremel?

chkdisk /f ?????

o... and now i have a 60GB Barracuda IV in the mail... so in a week ill be rid of this piece of crap hdd

Edit: suddenly the space is back. 1.53 gigs available. hooray, and on with BG

Last edited: 3 May 2002
  13. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

chkdsk /f is fix errors, same as scandisk, but not as in depth..

-the MSDOS mastah