1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Take-Two settles Hot Coffee suit for $20M

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Totally ridiculous, the whole thing. In fact, I'm not going to even comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Sep 2009
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this makes me sick...

4. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Looks like you just did... :p

I can't believe how many years later this is.

You'd expect people would have something better to do than complain about hidden 18 rated content in an 18 Rated game.

These people are no better than patent hoarders in my opinion.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not only hidden, but completely inaccessible unless you're actively looking for it (and have searched the interwebs to find out how to access it).

How you could claim for seeing something that you went looking for is beyond me. :sigh:

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Oi, I spent a good five minutes coming up with my "epresents" witticisms! And you go and remove it all! Pfft, I'll sue you for $20 million.

7. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

ZOMG!! Sexual content on an 18 rated game!! Think of the children!!

Who cares about violence, it's the sex that upsets me, it's unnatural. They're all going to hell etc.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

alot of conservatives in the us are upset they lost the culture wars, so they do crap like this,sad.

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It's not just a case of looking for it, on the console versions you needed a gameshark equivalent disc and a specific code for it. As far as I'm concerned, that is modified content and not something hidden by deceptive marketing. I would consider it tame compared to the rest of the games content anyway. Beyond ridiculous.

10. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

@FiddleBot: how is it completely inaccessable if one of the modders modified the Main.Scm file to unlock it?. I'm a GTA Modder myself, and I know that there is a few treats in each game that R* leave for the modders, (although in GTAIV there aren't so many... I wonder why...).

11. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

afaik, the suit was filed due to the supposed insider trading that occurred due to the hot coffee scandal, and NOT due to the content... i may be mistaken tho.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2009
  12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1 at Combinho, it's 'OK' to kill hookers, run from the law, enjoy gang warfare and go on a rampage, but seeing some sexual activity is a strict no-no :nono:

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

The game is rated as Mature 17+ with the following "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs".

And yet they get fined for a couple of pixels shagging?

Ugh.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the hot coffee actually sold copies.. they were hyping it up on g4tv back then- funny to think the devs had that much freedom to play around with it in the office.. they should have taken it out the game though XD they probably figured someone would find it someday

15. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Pass the shotgun please...

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I didn't say it was completely inaccessible, I said it was inaccessible unless you were actually looking for it.

By which I meant that the average user (bearing in mind this is a technical forum, and nobody here could really be considered an "average" user) would never normally get to see the content during the course of playing the game. Only if you actively searched for the changes needed and then actively applied those changes would you ever get to see the content.

That is, it is by your own actions that you saw something - and as such, you have no right to complain or expect recompense.

17. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

A failed revolution of AO games. Thank GOD the devs dont end up in jail.:D

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  18. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

@Fiddle:

Ah Ok...

I do also have to mention... I tried that hot coffee mod, and I don't know why people made such a big deal about it really, because when they were... "movin tha pixels" they were still wearing their clothes (they didn't even pull their trousers down) - but some modders seemed like hormoanally desperate 13 year olds who had made mods for them to look naked... lol

19. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Wasn't the problem with the Hot Coffee mod that it was hidden, i.e. the censors couldn't see it? That meant the game only got a "Mature" rating, as opposed to an "Adults Only" rating? If I remember this one correctly, an AO-rated game has massive restrictions on it - much more so than a "simple" M game. It also meant stores that wouldn't stock the games based on an AO rating, WOULD stock it as an M rating.

Rockstar tried brushing it off when it appeared on the PC version as "someone inserting modified code", but when it came to light on the PS2 version (which, by the nature of the console, is read-only), they had to admit it was hidden?

Anyway, they did something bad, got busted, and paid for it. It's still not as extreme as the drug-fuelled hooker-murdering, but it was "graphic sexual content", and therefore would have pushed the rating higher.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

interesting view

i wont rant as peeps have already said how ridiculous this is. cant believe it though

Tags: Add Tags