1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MMO's to challenge Warcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 31 Aug 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

oy oy ... :naughty:

2. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

ow eerrrrr..... game magazines that would be =/

3. fallenexile

fallenexile What's a Dremel?

Was the game called Huxley?

4. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

I have alot of time put into WOW but, i am looking for another game to play.

5. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

YUP that's the one, thx :) couldnt find the magazine cuz my room is a mess :wallbash:

it looks pretty promissing (the trailers look awesome)

It's on my i need this game or else i can't live a normal life list (along with Quake Wars and Total.. errr.. Supreme Commander)

Last edited: 7 Sep 2006
  6. yahooadam

googled it, screenies look interesting

gonna look at their movies :)

7. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Huxley and PotBS are the two I'm waiting for.

Ideally I'd love to see something like Elite where you actually fly the ship. I've been on Eve for the last three years, and as much as I love it, the point and click style combat just isn't me.

Then again, I'll go for anything as long as it doesn't have bloody elves, faeries and wizards in it :)

8. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

What I want is an MMO where the races and classes expand on a regular basis, along the lines of every 3-4months would be ideal.

What I really want is an MMO that essentially is D&D without the dice and DM. I want totally virtual D&D.

Is it an insane request? Yes. But so far no MMO has been able to hold my insterest due to the lack of race and class choices. Every MMO holds me for a month or less then I'm bored to tears. So until some software giant takes on the monumental task of creating the D&D world on the computer I'll simply pass on them all.

Edit: Being a D&D freak jades me since I'm use to haveing the run of hundreds of classes and races ( monstrous race campaings..WOOT!).

Last edited: 7 Sep 2006
  9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Personally I prefer a skills based, classless, system but this doesn't work for you?

10. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Nope. I want the whole of the D&D world dumped into a truely massive game. I don't want dumbed down D&D. Pick up a D&D race book, monster race book and elite classes book. Ask me after you've looked them over if what you linked will work for me.

The only problem with a skill based system is either max level limits your diversity, aka skills level as you level, or skills level based on the amount of times you use them, aka a learning and level system, the latter just brings up a whole wealth of questions and complexities. But if there is a game that is solely skill based I'd like to give it a go and see how well it balances things.

11. yahooadam

my feelings exactly

Huxley looks pretty good, but apparently it didnt go down well at E3

Im also looking forward to seeing how PSU (Phantasy Star Universe) works out, its out in japan and october 24th in europe (i think)

12. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

the problem with having loads and loads of playable classes is balancing, if you have 4 or 5 races and x amount of classes then its easier to balance the overall game so people dont feel left out, also theres the unique missions and items and what not.

with devolopment times for mmos being so damn long and costing loads for the current smaller set of classes and races it would take even longer to have loads and probably be posponed so much it never came out :p

13. oyjord

oyjord What's a Dremel?

Conan was NOT invented by Arnie

It almost made me cry when I read:

"Conan the Barbarian was the making of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and considering how big he is you'd be a fool to ignore it. The move into the world of online gaming is one that came as a bit of a surprise to me, having seen the movies a long time ago and having heard very little about the franchise (which has quite a strong comic book fan base) the last thing I expected was a move into games."

Good lord, that's a poor understanding of history, and poor research. A fancy website like this should've caught this mistake before going to press. For shame.

Conan was invited by author Robert E. Howard in the 1930s! Yes, 1-9-3-0. That's a good 50+ years before Arnie portrayed him on the screen. Therefore, there is a COPIUS amount of backstory and lore for the upcoming "Age of Conan" game.

Oy.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sorry oyjord, but you've misunderstood the sentence you quoted.

That statement says that what made arnold Schwarznegger famous was Conan the Barbarian, not that Conan was made by or for arnie. Perhaps best to inquire in future before reprimanding people wrongly ;)

Welcome to Bit-tech though :)

15. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

To be honest what I'm waiting for is a game where skill and not age of account are the deciding factor in combat. WoW was horribly addictive when I played it, but it soon dawned on me that I could never make anything of myself in that game because of the grind system. Ditto, much as it pains me to say it, for EVE online. Time is critically important in that game, because even if you play for a long time you won't skill up any faster.

The games to get my attention are Huxley, because it's a shooter and that levels the playing field. Pirates of the Burning Sea, because, duh, it's got pirates in it and Conan because legend has it that the combat will be skill based.

To be honest though I hope games developers don't borrow too much from WoW because WoW is a very nasty piece of work. As a recovering WoW addict looking at what it does to people I'm pretty shocked by it. It's masterfully coded to be as addictive as possible and while I'm sure a lot of people don't see anything wrong with playing the same game for four hours a day every day for over a year personally I think it's dodgy. Games should require skill, not time.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That's why I play Guild Wars - well, that & the fact that I don't feel like I'm loosing out not playing just because I've spent my monthly fee (Guild Wars has none). Your points about the addictiveness of MMORPGs are too true though. I remember a few stories of people in Asia (Korea I think) DYING as a result of online game addiction. Honestly though, even in a skill based game, practice improves your use of those skills.

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

That's just it though, I'd rather practice and be good, as in having the skills to pay the bills personally, rather than grind to get the +1 or +2 on a stat that might turn the tide in my favour on the dice rolls. I know there is some measure of skill and strategy to WoW, but the fact is you're always playing the stats no matter what. Guild Wars is very good in that respect, not directly skill based per se, cos it's still about the random numbers, but the way you can just pull a max level PvP character out of nothing is refreshing.

Tags: Add Tags