1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

That would be in your finger :naughty: or maybe in the eject button :idea:

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

how about a voice regonition one? Activate the voice recognition by snapping your fingers, then give the command. It would be great for when you have vistitors:

*snap* play music!
    *snap* next song!
    *snap* get me some coffee!
    :hehe:

Oh, by the way, you are not the only one to take forever to perform simple tasks in this program. My design is only 1/3 finished, and at the moment it's not much more then 4 metal plates with a bit of plexi. I spent about 12 hours so far designing that. :duh:

Keep 'em coming boys, it looks like we'll have a LOT of entries this time around, and there's 6 more weeks to work on your designs! Which reminds me... i have to work on mine again. cya!

3. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

oo there are some great ideas going on here. Ta Editor - I'm now thinking about mineral oil projects! My missus is going to kill me at this rate! I like the sneaky drive on Dans design and also wondering about how to project a laser keyboard onto the window of a mineral PC. I need a lie down.

4. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

Oh dear. It would appear that I'm a plagiarist. Looking around the web at mineral oil PC's I've found one by Puget somethingorother that looks like my design. It's basically an old aquarium. Back to the drawing board for me then. Mind you, I do have an old octaganol fish tank in my cellar mmmmm

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

What about a oil pc built around a bubble lamp? now that would be some crazy design!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What about a lava lamp?:hehe: I think a few octagonal fishtanks have ended up as computers. -at least I remember suggesting it to someone here.

[​IMG]
    -I'm not dead...
    [​IMG]
    -I think I could go for a walk...
    [​IMG]
    -I feel happy! I added a manifold for the radiator area and fixed the lines. You can see the bathtub like structure in the reservoir. The idea is that it opens up to reduce the pressure of the fluid. It's almost flush with the inside wall, so the coolant should run down the inner walls.

bentleya likes this.
  7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

:jawdrop: Cheap! thats some crazy SU skills and an awesome blue plexi texture. Looks like an aliens pet robotic dog :thumb:

8. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

That's just plain crazy Cheapskate....... I LOVE IT!! :rock:

9. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys! I've learned a lot about SU's hangups this time around. In the future I will upscale everything to about 20 feet.:hehe:

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

So when are we going to see you building this thing, Cheapskate? :D:D:D

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Ha Ha thats when having dual monitors for running a WIP Su and and a scale one comes in really handy :thumb:

12. Cheapskate

@Jrs77 - Again, When i get access to the Lian-Li factory... and free titanium.:D ...And a casting forge for the waterblock...
    ...and that 5 axis cnc machine...
    ...and some free 3x6 bricks of aluminum...
    ...and a pony...

13. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

a pony? :eeek:

no wait, forget i asked, i decided that getting an answer is not in my best interest.

14. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

You cant manage without the pony!! you can use it to drive the cnc in a power cut :thumb:
    and watercool it to make it work at a lower temp and more eficiently. :dremel:

15. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Thought I would post my idea that I am working on. I was inspired by the Mac Mini, so I named this the Windows Mini...

[​IMG]

It is 90mm tall (without the 10mm feet), and 220x220 mm square. It uses the J&W Minix motherboard, and a passive 4670 graphics card (both of which I need to design, so I may not have a complete version done anytime soon...).

[​IMG]

One 80mm fan intakes air from the left side, and it is exhausted through the back with positive pressure. One 80mm fan also cools the cpu.

[​IMG]

There is a slim line slot load DVD drive at the top of the case.

I am still looking for other ideas on improving the case. I am looking to keep it unobtrusive like the mac mini, but with a bit more flair, like a windows computer usually has. I am open to any ideas you might have!

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Nice sketch up. With a 2.5" HDD, the slot drive optical anda PCI riser to lay the video over, this is as small as I have been able to make a mini-ITX. The rear I/O and the PCI card showing will blow away the minMac look.

This is nice

john

Last edited: 16 Feb 2009
  17. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

ooo really liking that cheaps - +:)

18. Cheapskate

Yay! Asulc is in.:D I like the concept too. A Pico cluster would be cool too.
    @xtrafresh - What? Every kid making impossible demands wants a pony.:D
    @Dan-ere-07 - OK...YOU went and made it dirty. (Only because it reminds me of a Zappa quote.)
    @Bent - :D

19. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Haha I wasn't originally working on it for this competition, rather a mod I hope to do sometime soon (this summer? haha)
    What do you mean by a pico cluster?

well i know i already blew away the mac mini look a bit. it is also a little bigger haha. The hardest part is all the freaking tiny holes that I want in the back of the case. Takes SOOOO long! Haha so I will probably leave them they way they are until I feel I am finished with the rest...whatever that may be!

But i feel that it is lacking something to make it really cool...haha

Updated pic... amazing what some color will do!

[​IMG]

My ideas so far...

Make the rear so that each port has its own cutout. I won't be able to do this until I model the motherboard and the graphics cards though...
    Paint the case black. Again, I will wait till I am done to do this, as it is harder to see the edges when it is black.
    Create some kind of a logo for the top... I was thinking the Windows logo, but I don't like the excessive color. I wanted to keep this blue and black.

Any other ideas?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  20. Cheapskate

I meant Pico format motherboard X 4 or so...
    I'd change the fan hole into a G5 style wall of holes.
    Any set of basic shapes would be better than the windows logo.