1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The One Week Uber Project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by malcs, 25 Nov 2003.

1. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

OK long story but i need to pad out my design portfolio.. therefore i need to build a PC in a week from scratch with a custom case. It is intended to be a micro PC that will have approx 20*20cm with 13cm height. DVD player will be included i will just get a mini-itx board which are 17*17 correct me NOW if i am wrong. I am working like a g-gnome on speed to get a working design to work. please help me.. get your friends and neighbours to contribute amazing design suggestions to THIS DESIGN:: i only have 1 WEEK that 7 DAYS. help me.

[​IMG]

scuse the render i did it in 5 mins i am just getting concepts here now... i am starting the build on thursday.

2. MrShake

MrShake What's a Dremel?

I'd feel bad about doing the design work on something you are going to claim is yours or part of your portfolio dude... but maybe thats just me!

3. malcs

i wasn't looking for someone to design it :) sorry i was a little panicked when i wrote that :) it still applies though :) but all i need is comments to point out design flaws etc.. that i havent noticed.. as bit tech ppl are soooo good at :D i know i dont mind commenting on other ppls projects and designs :) its just i need to do this project in a week so if you see something ive forgotten or that you think should be on there please please tell me :) again.. i dont want ppl to DESIGN it for me... its for a Product Design course,,, and thusly it would defeat the point if other people designed it :)

4. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

what software u using for that 3dsm?

5. malcs

3ds maxr5

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Yep, I just checked Dex's great little guide on motherboard sizes. They're 17x17cm.

Is the top supposed to be beveled? I'd think that would be a little hard. What material are you using?

7. malcs

chrome plated steel for most of it-- but 1mm plexi over the top to give it an 'iPod' feel to it :D wish i could affford touch sensitive buttons tho

8. TekMonkey

Heh, I got have an iPod :lol:. Maybe search eBay for a busted iPod :D .

But you're probably in to much of a hurry to wait for shipping ;)

9. buzzby

buzzby What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: The One Week Uber Project

I would have to agree if you only have 1 week i would concentrate purly on getting it all to look seemless. I mean that there are no rough edges and the plexi fitx the metal outside well. Start simple and get the main part built and working then if you have time look at improvements

Just by opinion.

buzz

10. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Touch buttons are not hard to make yourself, I believe Linear has posted a circuit around here somewhere...

Looks nice, pearl white and subtle blue illumination (think blue UFO mod) would rock :thumb:

Good luck!

11. TekMonkey

I think the key word there is subtle.

A very low blue glow. Sometimes too many lights really detracts from the case. :nono:

12. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

make exactly what you have in the render. i love it. very contemporary

13. malcs

update::

i am designing a main frame to go under the outside.. it is going to be aluminum L extrusion arranged in the shape of a frame, all screwed together with countersunk screws.. it will be 20*20 cm and 13cm high and have a slimline laptop DVD and a full 3.5" hard drive

14. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

very nice so far, i would just use bloo led's for the lighting it would be more subtle, and i totally agree with you TekMonkey

15. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

skip the floppydrive... no need for it in a htpc...

16. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

its only in there because there is no other one in my whole house that works

17. funkymunky

funkymunky Guest

i agree, you shouldnt have a floppy disk drive.. if your that desperate to use one.. then you should buy an external....

I think that you should use a slimline lappy drive and use a ide connecter.. as this not only looks thiner but also more professional... its also fairly easy to add a plexi front and then have the plexi glow by having leds 1mm from where the plexi goes into the casing.......

Hope that gives ya a little big of help??

Rm :p

18. malcs

:) that is a slimline lappy dvd drive :D no floppy drives there lol.... will have more stuff later... including what i plan to do to hide the ugly I/O ports on the back of the board :D

19. malcs

OK how about this for a stealthed I/O plate :)

[​IMG]

there will be 3cm space on the other side for bulky monitor cables etc...

20. malcs

scuse the lack of a render of the INSIDE of the PC showing the structure of the frame and the positioning of the HDD, mobo and DVD, but for some reason my server had a mare and wont let any other PCs access the internet :(