1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Quadcopter/Drone/Multirotor Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Mar 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Couple of flights between the rain storms, some workmanlike videos of roofs at work but no photos. The videos ca he on my phone, but i can't see the photos.
    I've tracked down Samsung 64GB Evo Plus locally, which will get me going when I get to the shops later.
    If the Mini has photo exposure control, that's an improvement.
    In my limited experience, I'd say buy at least one spare battery.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

When the weather is better I will take it out again. Right now I'm focused on learning the controls as the parks around me are full of trees.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thanks for the video. That's great to know. I had the impression the new app is incredibly limited. Granted, the impression came from Spark forum.

Sorry, I meant buying brand new fly-more bundle on the Mavic Mini for ~£370, depend on exchange rate at time of purchase, from official DJI online store directly via TMall. That's 3 batteries for over 1 hour total flight time.

What I really like with Mavic mini is that (like other Mavic) it folds up and the RC has removable sticks. Essentially I can have the setup in my coat pocket. Or more realistically in my camera bag, instead of a single large mirrorless lens. No more dedicated bag for drone.

Originally, when I replaced my Phantom 2 with Spark, I thought I'd wait until Phantom 4 level features come to Spark sized drone or smaller. But as I use Spark over the years, I found myself doing all the flying manually. Never used active track beyond initially trying it out. Never used pre-set flight paths. It's the flying and taking photo from unique angles that I enjoy the most. So hopefully Mavic mini will be good enough for me.......... until truly intelligent drone comes down to this size.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

When you next fly the MMini, could you check the RC model number for me please?
    Or whether you can choose 2.4 GHz channel.

I'm looking at DJI comparison table, it shows MMini have 2 different RC:

MR1SSS5
    5.725 - 5.850 GHz
    FCC: 4000m
    SRRC: 2500m

MR1SD25
    2.400 - 2.483 GHz
    MIC: 2000 m
    CE: 2000 m
    5.725 - 5.850 GHz
    CE: 500m

This page suggests SRRC approval is for the Chinese market: https://www.cetecom.com/en/certification/market-approval-for-china/srrc-certification/

While it's not good to fly non-approved radio equipment, on a personal level, it will be good to get the longer range 5GHz RC.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Arboreal

As you can get the Fly More bundle for the same price as the basic UK kit, that's perfect.
    Making it pocketable is an amazing feat.
    Like David, I will be buying a photo/drone backpack so that the Mavic Pro and Fuji X-T1 can go out together.
    Rumour has it that there will be a new mid range Mavic announced in the New Year; possibly something Air size with a better camera like the Hasselblad Mavic 2 Pro variant.

It will be interesting to see which way they develop the range. I am happy with the Pro as a starter, as it does all I want and more, especially with the exposure control and raw output.
    Undoubtedly something better will come along that will add to what you can do, but that's fun for later on.

6. Arboreal

The weather's been appalling for wind & rain, and I've not flown for ages, mush disappoint.
    I'm looking for a backpack for my Mavic Pro kit, and annoyingly have missed a few bargains on ebay. The 'man bag' from DJI is a pain and just that bit too small to be comfortable to load the Mavic in & out.
    @David has a Lowepro Droneguard BP 200/250, which looks good.
    I've also been recommended the Lowepro Tahoe BP 150, which can be easily configured for a Mavic Pro, and has a nice slot for a small tablet.
    Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for carrying this outfit safely and making it easily accessible?

Last edited: 17 Dec 2019
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

the BP 200 is down to £70 on Amazon

It was hovering (heh) around £100 when I was looking for one.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Arboreal

Decision made! The above BP200 ordered & on the way. Thanks @David :thumb:
    I was dithering as I though the BP 200 only had room for a phone, until I re read the specs that said that the hydration pocket will take a small tablet.
    3 way choice in the end; new Tahoe BP 150, but the green/camo one seems unavailable and expensive if available; a used BP 200 for £60 posted on ebay and the new one for £13 more on Amazon. A small Amazon credit bought it down to £65 to outlay.

That's my Christmas present sorted, and all the others for the family are all sorted as of today.

Next mission, a used ipad Mini 4...

Hoping to fly at work tomorrow, as i have to produce some site pics for a local documentary.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. David

That pocket will take more than a small tablet - I keep my landing pad and a Dell XPS 9360 laptop in there.

Arboreal likes this.
  10. Arboreal

wyx087 and [ZiiP] NaloaC like this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

12. Arboreal

Anyone else not seeing my pic? I can't find the permissoins settings...

Back to drone flying tablets, SWMBO has a Samsung Tab S2 8", which is slower than the Shiels K1 and ipad Mini 4 on paper, seems to run fine for her, and would avoid a move applewards.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Can't see the picture on Opera.

14. David

Go to media then go to Your Albums and, on the thumbnail for each album, there is a tick box in the top left. Click it and hit the down arrow next to other actions. You can change the privacy setting in there.

15. Arboreal

Try it now :happy:

Thanks D, much easier on the PC; I knew there was something there, but useless on my phone earlier.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

That got it. Nice pic.

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Arboreal

The very clean £96 Samsung Tab S2 in black arrived yesterday, and seems to work well.
    It wasn't so good when it came to a test flying today when the wind dropped for a bit.
    The tablet would not connect to the Mavic Pro at all, when my phone would with all 3 cables I took with me.
    When I got home, it still wouldn't play.
    A quick search online showed that it was a common problem that does seem to have a solution.
    You have to fire up the Pro, the Remote Control and let them connect, then turn the tablet on.
    If you fire it up once the drone and remote are connected, it seems to be fine. Just need a longer remote to tablet cable, which is a few quid on ebay.
    I'll get it and the landing pad ordered tomorrow

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Long overdue update. Tab S2 moved on and replaced by a new iPad Mini 5 / 2019. This works a treat with the DJI software and is fine to use in most applications.
    I'm running Firefox as my browser because I really don't like Safari for some reason.
    Getting better at flying and filming more smoothly, but the wet weather and lockdown has massively reduced opportunities to go out flying.
    I'll post some pics later when I've run them through Affinity Photo.

David likes this.
  19. David

So that's your "exercise" time then? :D

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm in the same boat, I've hardly had chance to fly my new mavic at all since I got it.