1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Theory | By Hannes ["What? Is this still on?" 22st.February.2014]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hannes, 29 Oct 2010.

1. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

:clap:

:blush: Thanks bro! I'm doing my best. :thumb:

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Can't wait! :thumb:

3. Hannes

I was in the workshop today. I've hardmodded everything that is going to be cut with the dremel and now I just need to buy some materials then it's time to powder-coat it. :-D

4. Hannes

A small update for the Theory.

The result of tonights experiments in photoshop CS5
    [​IMG]

Begun the modding, this picture summons up what I've done this far pretty well.
    [​IMG]

5. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

That looks like a fine piece of plexi!

6. Hannes

Thank you imersa! It's cut by hand.. Or dremel actually.. Well, at least with a rotary-tool. :dremel:

7. Hannes

8. perplekks45

Polished capacitors? NICE! :thumb:

The only thing I don't like about this project is the pace. :p

9. Hannes

Yeah, I'm sorry 'bout that! I'll try to highten' my pace and bring some continuity to my updates. I've waited quite long for the motherboard and it's a key component to the build. I'm probably gonna solder some, even tho I'm such a rookie and only soldered cables before. I had to have the motherboard in my hands before cutting more on the case.

Guess you are able to put 1 and 1 together now. :dremel:

10. perplekks45

Let's see if you have some surprises for us along the way. ;)

Don't rush things. This start is amazing, just relax and finish it at your pace.

Slightly off-topic: The font you use in your updates... which font would that be?

11. Hannes

I sure hope I do! :lol:

It's: http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-estrya-s-handwriting.font Looks really great, doesn't it. :)

perplekks45 likes this.
  12. Hannes

I'm thinking, why not try to explain my intentions with this build with you. So you somewhat know what to expect of me and in the same time you'll be able to help me keep a red line throughout the build. I've previously stated that I'm going to make this build air-cooled. But that's not entirely true. Actually, I'm going to do two revisions of this build, the first one will be air-cooled, the second one will be liquid cooled with a lot of goodies.

The colorscheme of the build is red, white and black with some accents of shiny silver (or nickelplating at least). I'm going to use products from MDPC-X like black-oxide buttonhead screws, sleeving, black rivets, snap-caps, washers etc. I'm going to powdercoat the inside of the case black, would you prefer matte black or a bit more shiny and reflective black? I think it's going matte black. The outside of the case is pretty much left intact. Lian Li's brushed aluminum is the sex!

I'm going to alter the case inside, adding some features and making it fully worthy of being both aircooled and liquidcooled. I'm going to use plexi and aluminum plates to make it more sleek and stylish, and you've already seen what I've cut out until now. There's alot more work to do, but you get the idea! I will use the plates to hide my watercooling to make a plug'n play system. Bitspower was kind enough to make this more than possible by contributing with enough fittings, rotaries and connectors to fit my vision of the case. As soon as they arrive I'll give you some pictures of them and the idea I have.

Back to air-cooling. I'm going to use a Cooler Master V8 as a base, and aggressively modified I'm positive that you've never yet seen anything like it, and you probably think it's crazy when you see it. But I think you'll like it. I'm going to try and find a fitting GPU cooler as well, the thermalright Shaman is probably the one. I'm quite fond of the design on that one. I'm not 100% sure on the GPU yet, but it's probably gonna be my HD5870. I'm not 100% sure on the fans yet either. I've used enermax fans on my last two builds and I really like them, but the cooler master excalibur might fit the build more. Guess the future will tell.

I'm calling this an Lian Li PC-8nb sculpture and I guess I have to explain that a bit more too. I'm going to try and do some different angles and add some influences to the build that quite frankly isn't necessary, but they will give some edge in a design point of view. I'm doing custom plates for the PSU -> 5.25" area, custom bottom on the case and I'm also going to do a hotswap bay with the Zalman hotswap module. I'm going to do a Level 10 inspired HDD bay which preferable is available from outside the case for easy switching of HDD's. Probably by using 2.5" HDD's or SSDs and HDD enclosures.

Alot of "probably" and "maybes" but it is that way because I might change my mind on some things. That's one of the reasons why I don't do sketches of my builds. I don't like to be held in the chuckles of pre-made thoughts, even if they're my own. :eyebrow:

Anyways! I hope you'll like my work and I'll work hard to bring some more continuity with the updates in this build. But a work without compromise does take some time as I need to learn to do some of the methods I need to use to really bring this build to the level of what it can become. :duh: It's great however! It's the process that counts, that's what is the real journey! ^^, The result is just a bi-product. At least that is what I like to think! :p

13. perplekks45

Thanks & rep given. :thumb:

• go with matte for the interior
    • already liked the first plexi cover you showed us; are the other look similar?
    • really looking forward to seeing your modded V8
    • don't you dare changing that colour scheme! :p

14. Hannes

Yeah, matte is probably nicest.
    That plexicover is going to be flipped, but I'll do something similiar. I was thinking about adding a aluminumsheet over them and then have whiteleds in the plexi. I look forward to mod the V8, it's going to be something different alright. I've actually decided to change the colour scheme a tiny bit. MDPX-X colour X instead of the usual red. It's more deep, almost brown or orange-brown in some light. It's truly sexy! That's not really a major change tho. :p

15. perplekks45

As long as it's red/white/black with silver accents I'm happy. ;)

16. Hannes

Everything to make you happy bro! ;-)

17. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Very very nice, excellent presentation and I love projects like this, keep it up :)

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010
  18. Hannes

Thanks bro, regarding the size, just click on the top and they all get bigger. It's because they're one picture and it's actually to long. But to me, there's no other way to show this project. The presentation and the build is a part of a whole you see. :)

I'll try to keep it up! Thank you for your kind words, they're much appreciated.

19. Hannes

20. perplekks45

LOVE the rounded corners! :thumb: