1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal compound for 290

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by J-Pepper, 11 Apr 2014.

1. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Just wondered, when attaching a EK FC290x full cover block to a 290, what thermal compound you guys use?

I still have a syringe of CLU which i apply to the CPU. Wondered if i could too apply this to the GPU block or would it be best using EK's recommended Gelid Extreme

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I don't see any reason not to use it in all honesty. I use CLU between my i7 and its IHS, a GPU is no different in the sense that there are plenty of resistors around the core.

You should get the best temperatures with it so I see no reason why you wouldn't. :)

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd avoid using it just in case you need to RMA as it's extremely difficult to remove every last trace of it. Also GPUs are a lot less temperature dependent than CPUs so the Gelid Extreme would be fine.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd be minded to agree with this advice :)

5. TheMadDutchDude

Is it really? It comes with a wipe that literally removes everything in one swoop. It comes off of the actual core much easier than the IHS though. It's a lot smoother.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd like to see that. I've used CLLU on CPUs and GPUs and once it's been on a few months it bonds to the metal/silicon and the wipe won't remove it nor will IPA . The metal scouring pad will remove most of it but not enough to get through an RMA and the scratches will be visible.

I used CLLP for a few years and had to virtually lap the blocks and IHS to remove it. I tried CLLU hoping that it would be easier to remove like they promise but although it will come off relatively easily after it's been on a few days it's nearly as bad as the CLLP after that.

7. TheMadDutchDude

Ooh right!! I had no idea it was that bad. I knew it ate into the IHS but I thought the silicone core was unaffected by it. My apologies. Definitely don't use it on the core in that case. Use something more appropriate such as the Gelid Extreme as suggested.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Really, the CLU migrating into the copper is fine for it. It's filling the space in between the copper atoms. I plan to use it for a lot of my equipment when it all arrives. The only reason Indigo Xtreme doesn't is the little capsule it's in.

Incidentally, Indalloy 17 is what Indigo is made of. An ingot was $17 last I checked, but may have gone up severely.

9. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

i just got the same block for my card. I ended up using MX-4.