1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Thermaltake Combines PC Case With Fridge For Great Cooling System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkEditioN, 25 Sep 2008.

1. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

So what do you think about This innovative cooling system ? This cooling system cooled Intel's Core 2 Duo E8400, which had been overclocked to 4.05 GHz, down to 35-degrees Celsius. :eeek:

Oh My God, I must get this as soon as possible :D

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I saw that yesterday, somewhere.

I imagine that you'll be paying a pretty penny for it. Especially because it's a 1st gen thing.

Looks really promising however.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Yeah, I saw this earlier today, but the mobo selection is limited, however, it seems that it may be good on energy (at least they say so)

4. DarkEditioN

I am always ready to pay any penny for this kind of thing :D It is really impressive... And it's a must have...

5. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Mobo selection is limited *but* this case won't be cheap... so they're assuming whomever can afford a ~$400-500+ case will probably buy a top of the line mobo like an X38, and it just so happens that most of the X38/790i flagship mobo's are supported. It's just that nobody will expect you to mount an old 965 mobo in this considering the particular customers TT is hoping to aim for.

It's a neat idea though, if the compressor is of good quality then it'll last for a long time.

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Neat... I wonder how well a mini fridge would do, that is just sticking the whole mobo w/components in there and letting it fan cool through the fridges system.

Someone do it and post it in the modding forums! :D

7. DarkEditioN

LOL I thnik it would freeze that way :D You can't precisely control temperature...

8. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

That list of supported motherboards is rubbish. It's like nVidia not validating a PSU under 1200 watts for 3SLI, while you can run it perfectly fine on a 1000W or even 850W.
    Other boards will fit, just might need some tinkering. Only the top end boards care to get a validation like this.

Great idea though. I am not a fan of the case's styling, but that's what this forum is for obviously :D
    Another thing that comes to mind is that i'd like to see a possibility for the VGA to be cooled in a similar fashion.

Also: /me pokes Bindi
    Start making phonecalls dude, we want a BT review! :D

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

It's a shame they had to plant it into a Xaser VI. I'd like to see them to take a step backward and build it into a Xaser III, or at least get rid of the tacky plastic 'wing' thing on top.

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Sticking a computer inside a regular fridge will not work. A fridge is designed to keep cold things cold, not cold things hot. Assuming you never open it up, you can expect the fridge to fail rather soon, assuming it's a regular fridge. A mini fridge wouldn't even compete, seeing how most use a small tec instead of a proper compressor. Won't keep up with
    Now if you open the door to the fridge, you can expect it condensation.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We saw the video earlier this week and it looks terrible.

It's very limited (we expected that though), they stuck it in a Xaser (BLEH!!) and sounds like a moped being abused with a vibrator. In addition - 5C at idle (who cares about idle temps?, it's only going to go upwards) yet 50C at load on a 45nm DUAL CORE!? We've seen air cooling that does better than that!

If you want to do something - DO IT PROPERLY. TT should look at what Promethia and Asetek did and learn from that. It's always always always cheap, half assed excuses for something different.

12. DarkEditioN

Ohh i see so bad comments about this case-fridge that you guys actually made me reconsider my decision to order it. :D I still like the case though. But one question for all you guys: If this case could accomplish this:
    Then it shouldn't be that bad at all... I would like to hear your opinions on this one...

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Xtrafresh, the list of supported motherboards isn't being done on the same garbage plane as NVIDIA's PSU spec is. Look at how the tubes are running. Those are thick, soldered copper. They go to where they mean to go, and that's it.

Now here's the problem. The way the first line states it, 35- != -35. 35C? Really? That's it for something that is very obtrusive, will be very expensive, and will definately make the case vibrate? That's incredibly unimpressive. I'm sure that TT based their "Typical Watercooling System" around one of their own kits with an added radiator, but still.

For the price of this setup, you could likely get a top of the line case (silverstone, lian li...) and put in a GREAT watercooling setup - Dtek Fuzion, DDC Pump With Aftermarket top, Thermochill 120.3... and have a better looking case with just a bit more work, and oh, compatibility with 105% of motherboards... It's a nice gimmick, that's about it TT.

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Please don't buy this rubbish, spend your money on a water cooling setup instead. Maybe world first someone trying to sell this, but google will reveal lots of fridge + PC combos that are alot more useable than this.

15. DarkEditioN

Ok then, I guess i will buy some top quality water cooling system, and not this fridge :D but thanks for giving me these advices guys! I almost ordered it :d

Tags: