1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Three million Dirt 3 codes stolen from AMD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Bit of a setback but I hope they learn their lesson. At least the stolen data should become useless.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bit of a "whoopsie" there.

Though, being codes, there should be a record of them to ditch them from the activation servers as actual keys, so..

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

It wasn't stolen, it was just badly secured......

5. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

In other words stolen: to take something you do not have permission to take.

6. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

I see your point, but if I left my bike on my drive and some randomer came up and "removed" without my permission, it would be called "stealing". This is despite the fact that it may have been partially my fault that I didn't lock it up or store it in a less visible place - it's still been stolen, rather than fallen through a sinkhole that opened up in my drive or eaten by wild hyenas

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Try leaving your car keys in your car.

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

And the doors locked, yes that is a pita.

9. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

This isn't property theft, it's access to information. So maybe a better analogy is that you were standing at your window in the buff, and forgot to put the shades down. Is it breaking and entering if someone "steals" a peek at you? ;)

Or maybe at your garage sale, on the sidewalk outside your home, you accidentally put out your diary. So people flip through it and see all your dirty secrets. Did they violate your privacy?

IP analogies are tough, it's always hard to find a completely appropriate one ;)

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Wouldn't want to use one of those codes; steam ban anyone?

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm very glad I'd already claimed my one of these.

However I'd be happy if I was Codemasters, the game is basically a demo with loads of premium upgrades within the game.

So if 3million people start playing* and each purchase a few of the upgrades thats alot of extra money from people who otherwise would not have bought the game otherwise. I am very glad I didn't buy the game, its great but I don't like microtransactions in a non-free game.

*(i know they won't)

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Another fantastic advertisement for farming absolutely everything out to external entities and doing nothing yourself if you can possibly help it. Brilliant. Corporate laziness forever!

13. Xir

Xir Modder

There's only 2.999.999 left AND YOU ADMIT IT? :D

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Lol. Check the grammar, "I'd already". Good call though if I had got one of these nicked ones I'd be in trouble now.

I feel a bit sorry for ATI in all this, as they presumably would have sent out 3m cards with the codes on them at what, 1p each? Thats still £30,000.00 down the drain.... Thats savings they can't pass on to us :duh:

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

If it is 3,000,000 codes then I think they will be giving Dirt 3 for free for quite a few years. Is Dirt 3 a good game anyway?

I'll happily take Batman Arkham City free with my Asus Matrix GTX580 Platinum from Overclockers £389.99 this week now as well.

16. Tr1p0d

Tr1p0d What's a Dremel?

I bought one off ebay for £6 on Saturday. Had no idea they were blagged. Was provided a link by a mate who'd also bought a code. Oh well, their loss, my gain.

17. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

As tempting as it might sound, it's probably not a good idea to go and buy/find any of these codes. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ended up revoking the game permissions for copies registered using them.

18. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

yea, i wouldn't touch thsese codes with a big stick. I've far to many games in steam i would like to keep.

19. Pyshtone

Pyshtone What's a Dremel?

Hehehe, you'll soon realize who had lost and who had really gained (not me :) ). After all those codes invalidation, try telling Steam you bought your code on ebay :)))

20. Tr1p0d

Tr1p0d What's a Dremel?

If it happens, it happens. It was £6, hardly breaking the bank. Plus, I've played a bit and it's not that great anyway so either way I'm not bothered (plus, slap bang in the middle of the game, you have options to buy additional races as DLC... that's just s**t tbh)

Tags: Add Tags