1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TJ-11/Level 10 hybrid scratchbuild?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rwb97, 5 Jul 2012.

?

What color sleeving?

1. Red

25.6%
  2. Black

17.9%
  3. Both

56.4%
  1. rwb97

rwb97 Addicted to modding

Hi, I didn't seem to have any parts falling off where I didn't want them too, and so if you can direct the heat of your heat gun, you should be ok. However, I did notice small air bubbles appearing between some layers of the PCB, because the heat seemed to spread through the board, and might damage some parts, but again, this was only because I left the heat on for too long as I was getting lots of parts off at once.

Sadly I cant guarantee success, but I hope that helps.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

It does help. Gives me a few ideas.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the floating/suspended design. :D

4. Del.irious

Del.irious What's a Dremel?

So I like the design. Great idea and all combining 2 unique cases. I also have been recently messing around with designing a scratch build water cooled pc, so I've been doing a lot of research on water cool parts. Recently, I came across this and saw how your radiators are set up and thought this might be helpful to you: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/06/08/hesmelaughs-radiator-sandwich-testing/
    I found it interesting that the sandwich rads preformed the same as the solo rad with the same number of fans. Again though, just a little food for thought, do what you want with it.
    Keep up the great work!

5. rwb97

Hi.

Yeah, this is an issue that others have also questioned, and now you bringing it up and the results in the link you showed me, are making me think a bit more seriously about it. I did run some tests my self, and the drop didnt seem too dramatic per rad, however that was in an open environment. It's a shame, because it would have been nice to have all rads tucked away neatly in the basement, and not have to have many fans showing elsewhere, but I also don't see the point in wasting the performance available in the extra rads:confused:so I guess I will have to do a re-think.

Thanks for the intrest and advice!

6. rwb97

Just a small update, my acrylic has arrived

a total of 3.2m2
    [​IMG]

From left to right: Gloss black, Transparent smoke grey, Transparent blood red.
    [​IMG]

I have started cutting already, but really not much to show just yet, will hopefully get something else up by the end of the week.

Again, a huge thanks for all the interest and advice on my first build.:rock:

7. rwb97

Ok, so I haven't done nearly as much as planned this week, as I hadn't realised how much of a chore it is to cut acrylic with a jigsaw, that will not go round a corner any better than a train:grr:

However, a very kind friend of mine lent me his weapon of mass destruction:clap:
    [​IMG]

So I proceded to cut out my mobo tray.
    [​IMG]

Then, the next problem I ran into was that I needed two sharp 90 degree bends, but I don't have a strip heater. Instead I used a heat gun, and directed the heat to the line I wanted to bend along by clamping wood to the acrylic, with a small gap between, which also held the bits I didn't want bent nice and flat.
    [​IMG]

Here is my first bend. Not too bad?
    [​IMG]

After that, it was just drilling and tapping holes for the standoffs.
    [​IMG]

And there you are.
    [​IMG]

The bend is slightly wonkey, and the edges still need filing and polishing, but I'm happy so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now with some parts in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used longer screws and spacer nuts so I have room for LED's behind the mobo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can use a better saw, there should be more to come soon:rock:

8. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Looking good! I also love the fact that you're using an eggbeater drill...

9. rwb97

Is nearly as useless as any kitchen utensil I've used, (snags in the acrylic) I'm just too lazy to go get the power drill from the shelf right above my head.:duh:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2012
  10. Mosquito

Can't say I've ever used one on acrylic, but I like using them for finer work in wood. More accurate than a brace, and I generally get better results from the eggbeater than the cordless... I'm more a hand tool guy when it comes to my woodwork I guess.

11. rwb97

Tried my hand at etching this evening:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rwb97

Managed to do a fair amount more yesterday, just taken some pics this morning.

I've been doing the bending for the walls of the case, and cut out the side panels so I can work out where I can do some engraving.

Here's the mock up side bender I made as a jig so all the corners are the same (in theory hehehe)
    [​IMG]

And then with the side panel cut to shape, this is just a quick pre-fit with tape
    [​IMG]

Just a random picture-don't remember taking this?
    [​IMG]

Really got the bug on my first build, cant wait to make some more progress!:rock:

13. pogonoforysci

pogonoforysci What's a Dremel?

Hi, nice work. How did you bend the acrylic? by heating with a heatgun?? If so doesn't it burn the protective film?

14. rwb97

Thanks very much.

About the protective cover - well that's kind of what I thought, having not done it before, but as I really didn't want to scratch it, as I knew I had more bends to do, I tried it on a scrap piece, and the only defect is that it shrinks a bit at the edges, and goes tacky (sometimes enough to stick to the jig) but it wasn't a problem.

15. rwb97

Just finished the basement section now,

One more outside bit to go (the link for wires and hose between the two sections)
    [​IMG]

Pleased so far, going to take a crack at the back support and mounting the compartments to it, and then the side panels to them.

More soon:dremel:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2012
  16. rwb97

I'd be real interested to know what with?:)

17. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

wow! looks great so far, very good solutions for bending the acrylic. ill be very interested as to how the moving of the I/O will be done.
    'subbed

18. rwb97

Ok, not been able to do what I wanted today (get the acrylic walls slotted into the stand) because I don't have a 3 mm router bit:waah:

But the modding must go on!! Besides, theres waay more I gotta do.

finished undressing my PSU, still got the modular cables to do though, but as I haven't decided which ones I will need as of yet I'll do em some time later.
    [​IMG]

Shpaguettiiiii
    [​IMG]

Also managed to get further with the mobo shield thingy, is taking an absolute age, having to do so many fits after so many cuts, because I cant see through where to mark my lines. Should have finished building my CNC by the end of the year though, so maybe I will do it again with some more rounded edges to fit the rest of the case.
    Here it is so far (far right pci-e slot still needs to be done)
    [​IMG]

As far as my radiator arangment goes, here's how it looks now (changed it after being warned by k4p84 & Del.irious (thanks guys)) about the efficiency loss in the previous setup.
    [​IMG]

Again, I will have to braze some 90 degree stuff to link the rads in the corners. Blue is airflow, Red is coolant flow.
    [​IMG]

And made some marks on the backstand for the grooves for mounting the acrylic walls, and holes for the rest of the hardware.
    [​IMG]

'tis all for now people, still plenty of the day left, so may get some more up tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for watching.:dremel:

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  19. rwb97

Oh, forgot to ask, anyone got any suggestions on painting that wood to look like acrylic?:confused::dremel:

20. Mosquito

What kind of acrylic? Clear? No :p

If you're going for a color, you can use paints, with really fine sanding in between, and buffing at the end, like you would to get a shiny metal painted surface, it might just require a few more coats. Also be sure to sand it very smooth before you paint. Looks like plywood, so just make sure you don't sand too much, or you'll go through the top veneer