1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment To go mirrorless or not to go mirrorless

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Modsbywoz, 13 Nov 2018.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

All being well, i'll be looking to upgrade my photography equipment in 2019.

My concern is if going mirrorless is a wise decision at the moment or if I should stick to the standard DSLR setup?

I have to admit I am a Canon fan but will be demoing the Nikon's offerings at the Photography show in March.

My question is, who believes it's a good decision to migrate to the new mirrorless mounting systems? Or will you be waiting for mirrorless to come down in price in the coming years?

2. veato

veato I should be working

Personally I think the Canon/Nikon mirrorless offerings aren't mature enough yet being relatively new to the market. The mount is new so lens choice (without an adapter) is more limited and I've read criticisms of both manufacturers offerings when compared to their full-fat counterparts. For example the new Nikon Z7 is said to have poorer AF compared to the D850 and both the Z6 and Z7 can suffer from banding. Sony (full frame), Fujifilm (APS-C) and Olympus/Panasonic (m4/3) are more mature products, benefiting from serveral model upgrade cycles, but I guess it depends what your requirements are.

I like the idea of going smaller/lighter, and if I was investing in a whole new system the XT-3 would be on my radar, but I've got too much invested in the K-mount right now to consider changing.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

It's a tricky decision as has already been pointed out.
    I agree that both the Nikon Z and Canon R systems are still too new to get a good feel for where they're going, let alone time for the initial wrinkles to be ironed out.
    I'm running Nikon APS C size DSLR which is good for many things, but I'm unsatisfied with my photos.
    I'm considering a used Fuji XT1 to try the system when I sell some old kit. I can then test it without any hurry and jump whichever way I feel works best.

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

To be honest, I was looking at the difference between the 5D IV or R. I think the 5D would be fine for the next few years, and by then maybe a mk II or mkIII R will be on the shelves.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have actually swapped from a 5DIV to an EOS R and I love it personally. There's no getting away from the price that is true but for me the benefits of the EOS R outweigh the negatives. I never was fussed with 2 card slots (not being a professional) and I couldn't care less for video either so the 4K crop issue isn't an issue for me. I've been blown away by the face tracking and the flexibility afforded by the sheer number of AF points. I know that the Sony's have better face tracking but I have big hands and always found them too small - the EOS R is a nice size in my hands. The controls took a little getting used to compared to the 5D but I'm happy with my customisations now. The only thing that I find utterly pointless is the multi-function bar - I have mine permanently disabled. If you've got any questions about it feel free to ask :thumb:

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I have a Canon 6D, it's a few years old now so looking to upgrade to something a little more capable. As being said the 5DIV looks like that will do me for the next few years and maybe ill pick up a mirrorless variant once the technology has been through a few updates.

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

If I was looking at the 5DIV vs the R. For me the choice would be simple. R wins it hands down. (I don't have a need for either though, as im waiting until Canon produce something to match my 1DXII or Sony A9 in the mirrorless world)