1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tomb Raider reboot to be survival horror?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I have faith, well, hope that this new one should be a good game. I liked tomb raider Legend, seemed more alike to the first two tomb raider games (the second imo, is the best one in the series).

I'm glad that they've set it in the past, with a younger lara, as survival horror with current lara would just not work. Having seen her face off hundreds of big, bloodthirsty monsters, a few zombies hardly seems a threat.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Just let Lara Croft rest a few years... the title is so used... Make something new... and then in a few years give Lara Croft another shot

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

This may actually work quite well - I can remember first playing the original Tomb Raider and that T-Rex part, and the Lost Valley level in general was ver creepy in a great "it's quiet... too quiet" kind of way! Tomb Raider plus survival horror to me sounds like a great new direction, as long as they keep the general ethos of eery tombs and puzzles.

Oh, and get rid of the quick-time events!

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Why can't this character die?

Lara was fun. All those years ago.

The franchise has been ****ed up with shitty remakes, shitty settings for 'new' games, and the unforgivable real world Lara's.

6. gingyfromshrek

gingyfromshrek What's a Dremel?

I think it's a brilliant idea and just what teh franchise needed. I hope that the plot to it is only part of the game, not all of it cos it would get boring a pointless to stay on an island with monsters all throughout the game lol. I also hope that their will still be a Croft manor, but new, different and exciting.
    Ive got to say that i wasnt looking forward to this game because of the last 2, but seeing the pics and reading about it has got me interested in it again. Legend was a good come back for the franchise but since then it went downhill once again like it did years ago. The first TR game and Legend are my favourites.
    This game seems liek it is going to take Lara and make her into something we have never seen her like before. Im glad their breaking form the habit of the dual pistols and the outfits, I like that she has a bow and arrow because its never been like that before in a TR game, plus she is looking better than ever with her more human like features including her clothing.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

Tomb Raider was cool at the time. TR2 was pretty good (I liked the demo but never bought the game itself...) TR3 I found boring. Any after that were... terrible. I think I've got a couple of the later ones as they were bundled with graphics cards or other hardware...

8. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Hmmm, not too sure about this move, the last time they tried something 'different' with the Tomb Raider seried was Angel of Darkness and I'm sure we would all like to be able to forget how bad that one was...

9. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

The story of the recent games were a bit.... weird... but the redeeming feature has been the control system - the new system is a lot better than the "programming moves" (to use the words of CodeMasters guys themselves!) method of old. Walk to edge, jump back one, run forwards half a second, press jump.

For me the game has been all about the acrobatics and puzzle solving - graphcs and cleavage were side points.

As for Croft Manor - that was always a great feature, my favourite being TR3 with the quad bike track, obstacle course and hidden aquarium! More of that please!

10. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

How far back? Maybe even back to "womb raider"!

I have Tomb Raider Legend on the Wii. kinda a boring game, a few dinosaurs etc, but i immagine it wouldnt have a great multi.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Bring back Carmageddon II .....
    Physics, vehicle destruction, and virtually limitless time....

I always wondered why they never made a 4th....TDR2000 seemed like a step backwards......
    Strangely enough, I think that was when Hardware 3D came in.....(GPU 3D not CPU 3D...)

The first tomb raider was great, never got into the others....

12. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

the last 2 tr games were quite good over all and I think this series will last for some time to come.
    also adding horror ai should give it a new twist and more interesting. If gamers will sit for hours playing l4d just killing zombies with nothing else to do this should work out to tr's benefit. there will
    always be people that flame this game as they do with other games as for me I always ejoy playing
    tr mostly for the exploring and lara's many abilities

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Hardware 3D was around when Carmageddon2 was released, and before it.

14. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I think this will work well if they can maintain the atmosphere. Exploring a horrific island as an inexperienced girl does have some appeal, as long as they don't market it with breasts. Ridiculously revealing outfits make it too cheesy and detract from most tension created by horror. Basically it needs to be tomb raider in name only, with a few gameplay ideas carried across but everything else made more serious.

15. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Anyone remember Tomb Raider chronicles ? - it 's the one where you had to play through a couple of different adventures from Lara's life , one adventure you played as young Lara marooned on an Irish island populated by ghost's and demons - this new reboot reminds me of that...

16. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

It would be most symbolic to put Lara in a hooker outfit and have her butler be dressed as a pimp. Given how much the title has been whored out. Maybe they should just cut to the chase and release a pr0n video of Lara and her sister.

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I like survival-horror... Nut to turn tomb raider into some of those?... Nonsense..
    Anyway I hope they improve her butt too... kinda skinny

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I never cared for Tomb Raider, the series well bored me and the whole plat former style just killed it for me so Im hoping they take this in a new direction. The storylined always seemed interesting just the game play to me wasnt any good.

19. an4rew

an4rew System Builder

yea TR2 was awesome at the time, the first one wasn't too shappy either.

20. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

First one was more fun IMHO. 2nd was a "let's cash in" game.

Tags: Add Tags