1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Updating graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PizaDeOveja, 8 Jun 2010.

1. PizaDeOveja

PizaDeOveja death to the waterparty's!

Hi there...My glorious XFX 8800 gts card just couldnt take company of heroes at 1080p anymore and just went all no image on me (the fan keeps rollin'), so I had to take the long road of upgrading.

It is not like if I could chose (If I could I was waiting for the islands stuff) but it is really difficult to find benchmarks that compare older cards with newer ones (Im guessing because newer cards dont necesarily add much frame rate to games even after a couple generations if you got a heavy duty card)

I was considering the factory overclocked Club 3d HD5870.

http://www.club3d.nl/admin/news_pdf/New factory overclocked Radeon HD 5800 series announced.pdf

Does it look like a good card to you??? I can get it here for around 423€...

Can I expect more than 5fps increase in the glorious company of heroes Eastern front mod?? With tha 8800 it was unplayable at 2550x1450 even with 4Ghz+ overclockin'. Im hopping I will be able to play it at beard-hair-pointing resolution with the newer card.

Big Thx:D

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

GPU hierarchy chart
    The above might be useful to you. Won't provide specs or figures, but will at least help determine where the cards are in relation to each other.

3. PizaDeOveja

Thx a lot PhoenixTank...I wish they had come up with more detail on that but it is really cool.

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Try having a look through this review. It at least compares current and last generation. Safe to say that your 8800 GTS is off the bottom of the benchmark charts - probably 25% or more slower than the 4870.

Assuming you have a dual or quad-core and you're managing to run it near 4GHz then your CPU won't be holding things back. A 5870 will be a massive boost over an 8800 GTS.

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

roosauce likes this.
  6. roosauce

That newer one has awesome set of cards to compare in one place - nice link. Not so fond of 3Dmark, but it has its uses.

So PizaDeOveja - the 8800 GTS is just under the 9800 GT in performance. You should be able to work things out pretty well from EvilMercs 2009 link ... may the graphics gods go with you.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

You can change it from 3Dmark using the drop down menu near the top, there's a whole load of benches for that set of cards.

8. roosauce

Ah nice - I obviously have a short attention span.

9. PizaDeOveja

Excellent info guys I thx you a lot.

The crossfire lower cards seems like a really good option but I dont really like the idea on needing drivers to be updated in order to see the difference while you will always fell the difference in terms of price, heat and power consuption. Also a single 5870 does perform better in the game I intend to play more!:jawdrop: Perhaps I will get another 5870 when the prices drop after islands release...hope they dont cease production of the older moddels by then...

I was now considering between the 2gb and the 1gb version of the 5870...

- The toxic 5870 2GB is 449€

which had an excellent review in
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire__hd5870_toxic_2gb/17.htm

- and the club 3d overclocked 5870 1Gb which is 428€

I think the 2gb looks better, despite not having found any review in which they state that there is an improvement in 2550x1450 res by having 1gb more of video ram, there is really not much difference in price for doubling it, and despite not helping much of at all, I dont think it will hurt so...

PS.

Hi there roosauce!
    What is that sause about? it is extra hot? Is there any way to buy it online?
    how is it being an aussie in london?:D I was just there last month, i didnt feel weird despite being an spaniard in london:D...waterstones is really cool too. Love that bookshop

bEst!

10. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'd personally go for a Vapor-X version of the card with the standard 1GB of memory then overclock it even more after to cancel out any possible performance difference. Ought to work out cheaper; http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...TI/ATIHD5800Series/Sapphire/11161-08-50R.html
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...ATI/ATIHD5800Series/Sapphire/1161-03-50R.html

I know that the prices aren't in euros but it's a good comparison.

Is there any widening gap between them at increasing resolutions? That should determine whether you need the extra memory.

EDIT: Found another review of the 2GB Toxic (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...apphire-hd-5870-2gb-toxic-edition-review.html) only a 2-3 fps increase across the board at all resolutions and AA levels.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  12. PizaDeOveja

Hi EvilMErc
    I can get here the 1gb vapor X for 379€

I think you are right, as far as I can tell there is no difference between having 1GB or 2gb of Vram, although in some review I found out the bogus point that for upcoming direct X 11 games you will notice the difference. Of course that is what they always say with new tecnologies that fail to produce any improvement in tests. What you will notice for sure, is that there is a considerable difference in price...70€ more for the 2GB factory overclocked Toxic.

Woh! ultra excellent link Domestic_ginger!!
    Do I understand correctly that I should expect a 2x increase in performance??? (218 index being my card 100)...that means you would roughtly get double FPS going from a 8800 to a 5870???

Anyways....
    I think I will be going for the 1GB vapor X.

Thx a lot guys ...:D:D:D

Ps.
    Oh! used 5970 at 515€:duh: