1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice upgrade mobo+cpu+ram or upgrade gfx card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shnull, 23 Sep 2011.

1. shnull

shnull What's a Dremel?

Hello,

i've been doing some research and this site has been quite helpful so far, i'm still not sure and since i'm on a pretty tight budget i thought i'd just ask here first since everyone here seems to be pretty :thumb:

i intend to upgrade my pc and the stuff should last me at least one year,
    my current setup is :

Intel Core2Duo E8600, clocked at about 4ghz
    Asus P5K SE EPU mainboard
    4GB ddr2 800 ram
    Asus ATI EAH 4890 w 1gb ddr5

from what i read 8gb is overkill since i use the pc mostly for gaming and information gathering or surfing as they say, any video conversion or rendering i do while watching movies or at night so that's not an issue really, this rig is more than adequate for my needs
    i also read the i7 2600k makes virtually no difference to the i5 2500k when it comes to gaming

so i thought i'd get

Intel Core i5 2500k cpu
    MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) mainboard (the gd53 got best review but is not available here it seems)
    Kingston HyperX blu ddr 3 1600 CL9 2 x 2 gb dual channel (i can upgrade this later if need be)

the most demanding games i run now are :
    battlefield bad company 2
    alice madness returns
    test drive unlimited 2
    civilization V

a lot more but i think those are most demanding of the system

games i intend to get most likely are Elder scrolls V skyrim and Battlefield 3 (as most demanding again)
    i have a 50 inch plasma tv i use mainly for movies and games, full hd , so that's a resolution of
    1920x1080 i suppose

now, my question (finally :hehe:)

would i gain most performance by getting the hardware stated above, or would i gain more performance by buying a top notch gfx card and install that in the system i have (i was thinking something like the gtx 580 which costs about the same amount as the cpu+mb+ram )
    i use a coolermaster v10 cooler which should be more than adequate for this as well

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated