1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Using a Heat gun.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by phelan1777, 1 Oct 2006.

1. phelan1777

phelan1777 What's a Dremel?

Not quite sure where to put this, but be it that I am case modding, I figured I would put it here.

My question is this.

Using a heat gun (for heat shrink) to dry paint?

Temps are more higher then a hair dryer, and will run longer then a hair dryer hoefully.

Propping it up, safely, so that it can hopefully dry a few pieces that I want ot paint, as it is wet and cool out, I can't leave the stuff in the garage.

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I am not quite sure what you are asking, but I know that they use heatguns in paint stores to dry small samples of paint on those little color matching cards...

3. phelan1777

painting pieces, not full size body pieces, but like Radiator, drive cages, and similar pieces.

I am working on a Stacker, and have lots of smaller pieces that I am painting myself.

4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

As long as it doesn't get knocekd over and it doesn't overheat it would help but if the paint is think it will mess it up.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Someone correct me, but I do not think it will make any difference, as long as you dont start to melt little plastic things with your heat gun, after all I think you can bend plexi glass with a heat gun set properly

6. phelan1777

I just wanted to ask before I tried it.

7. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Sure, try it. But keep the heat gun on a low temperature. Remember, heat guns at high temperatures are used to STRIP paint! If you have a convection oven, you could put the piece in there for a while at a low temperature.

8. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

This is what i use for heat shrink
    [​IMG]
    Its more controlled then a heatgun/hair dryer but i dont know where to get them outside the uk.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

At the lowest temp setting from a decent distance, it would probably work. But I'd be concerned about it drying the paint too fast and it would either crack or start flaking off. As Emon so simply put, they're made for stripping paint, not drying it (though are wonderful for heatshrink as well).

10. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

it's best to just let the paint dry in normal ambient temperature (between 15 and 30 degrees celsius) This allows the paint to get tougher as it gets more time to dry

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Some one here put there parts in the oven and it produced a lovely finish.

12. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

possible, but I guess that's a diffrent kind of paint then... Some paint requires high temperature to set. Like heat-resistent paint, which can have temperatures up to 600 degrees celsius, needs to set at a temperature of 200 degrees. Maybe that's the paint used there?