1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin's broadband claims "misleading"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 10 Apr 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The virgin logo looks like Pringles. Everything Virgin sounds dodgy to me. I mean everything.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Nice to see Virgin getting put in their place. Their adverts are misleading and I've had nothing but bad experiences with them - not a good ISP at all.

4. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Just another greedy ISP... Move along, nothing to see here.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I've been with Virgin since it was NYNEX back in the day. Never had a problem.

6. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

its true that 8meg from BT wasnt the best although i personally did get very close to the cap.
    I changed to BE broadband yesterday on their adsl2 network and i have got a nice connection of 23 meg down 2.5 meg up.
    The connection speed is great and it is better than what virgin could offer me if they could get me a connection. They dont connect flats so i cant go on cable anyway. Doesnt stop them ending me 2 or 3 leaflets a week though.

So Virgin should really start to advertise based on current connections, based on ADSL2, which so far offers a faster speed than that 20 meg fixed speed that they talk about and that is fact(in my case)

Comparing the new cable to ADSL is like comparing a Honda civic type-r with a standard bottom of the line honda, where really they should be comparing a type-r with a subaru impreza turbo.
    Currently they are not really doign a fair comparison.
    Compare cable to ADSL2 and you have a whole different situation

7. ¦Cold¦

¦Cold¦ What's a Dremel?

This is nothing compared to their overzealous traffic shaping policies.

8. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Been with them since Telewest, only ever had problems since virgin took over. First they refused to replace the broken modem, even when they admitted they owned it and was their problem (all in one sentence!). A quick call to UK customer service to dump them fixed that. Then they introduced throttling (25% of normal speed) after you used a couple of gig of data during large chunks of the day. Stuffed me on a busy workday as I adjust/fix/assess files for graphic repro companies. You can do that amount of data on a 10mbs line in a very very short time. Oh, and forget contributing to the open source community by hosting Linus images for torrents, unless you throttle your upload to dial up speeds.

The only reason I stay with them is that 10mbs is 10mbs, going to a BT/Copper based alternative would cost me a lot more to get the same speed less reliably. BE or ADSL24 are always on the back burner though.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Every single add that they've run in the last 2 years has had complaints made about it for being false. It's nice to see at least one of them getting banned. Also - people should stop calling the virgin fibre service "fibre to the home". it's not.

10. alick

alick What's a Dremel?

if isp's could support the bandwidth they ecsept money for there wouldn't be Fair Use Policy

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Cable Internet is a complete postcode lottery, if you happen to be in a lightly subscribed area where the UBR's (Routers) arent overloaded with subscribers, you are laughing, and should get the full speed most of the time.

More likely though, is that you will live in an area that has overloaded UBR's, in which case the service can be just plain terrible...and all of a sudden, 'old fashioned' copper wire networks seem like travelling by bullet train compared to what peak time usage is like on a crappy UBR fibre network.

Of course, theres no way to tell which side of the UBR fence you sit, until you have signed the fixed term contract...

I know this from experience...:(

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've been a 20Mb Virgin customer for about a year and before that I was with NTL for several years, dial up then Cable. In both cases I was living in a second floor flat. I've not had a single problem with them (apart from the occaisional V+ box rebooting but that's a different matter).

I can't speak for your situation, just wanted to give my 2 pence.

13. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

My parents have been with virgin for about 8 years and are lucky enough to be in a cable area. They get 10Mb all day everday with no problems.

I on the other hand have to make do with their pathetic adsl service. Their service cuts out randomly and most annoyingly they seem to consider "peak" time as something absurd like 10am-2am, so i am being continually throttled even when I havent downloaded ANYTHING.

The best example of their service was a few weeks ago when they inexplicably capped our internet at 5kb/s yes thats right, 5! An hour on the phone to "customer support" ended in them denying anything was wrong and telling me to reboot the router 4 times in a row to magically fix it.... When this failed to fix the problem (what a shocker!) the customer service person actually said "i don't know what the problem is, or how to fix it"... right.... thanks. 2 weeks later the internet magically went back to normal... yay

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Cable could go much faster than ADSL but virgin see no financial incentive, I think they have the capacity for bandwidths up to about 200MB/s if they pulled their finger out. It suits them to keep the market like it is currently though, as in 3/4 years time their 200mb service will cost £50 a month rather than if they released it now they would have to bring the price down in that time.

15. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

I have 10mb Virgin and always get the 10mb they provide and seldom have any problems.
    Unfortunatly it would be nice if I could ACTUALY utilise that 10mb line for more than 15 minutes before my connection gets throttled back to the stone age.
    Its akin to handing someone the keys to a Ferrari and then telling them they cant drive it faster than 5mph, its bloody stupid.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

This broadband is all very confusing. Next year, me and 3 mates are moving in together for our second years of Uni, and we live in a fibre optic enabled area. At first I was looking at Virgin's 50MB/s service, but if they can not assure me I will always get that speed, I don't see the point paying for it.

What would you guys reccomend? Anyone with any experience in shopping for the fastest reliable connection out there? We are all pretty heavy users, and the bill will be split 4 ways, so it doesn't really matter if it costs alot.

17. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i'd recommend *be, thats who i use. near enough their 24mb promise (around 20-22) and its only 25 quid

18. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

BE are pretty much the best ISP in the UK. I do have a problem with latency at the moment but thats because of a with the house, not the connection. The modem they give you is crap though. Ours kept overheating.

19. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

I've been impressed with Virgin the past year. The throttling annoys me, but the 99% uptime just about makes up for it.

Far better than BT, who I had last year, or Sky, who my mate uses.

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Your statement is as misleading as anything Virgin put out. With any copper system you'll get fairly close to the maximum only if you live on top of the exchange and have good wiring in between. There are plenty of people on the Be* forum getting very much less than 20Mbps on a LLU plan, distance is everything.

I'm on O2, advertised as "up to 20Mbps", only a few hundred yards from the exchange but I've never seen better than 18Mbps. Not that I'm grumbling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2009
Tags: Add Tags