1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Waking Mars review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

this is exactly the same as kentuky route zero but it costs £2 more - what a rip!

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Is it though? Is it "exactly the same" ???

From trailers they don't look the same to me.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I picked up Waking Mars for Android as part of the last Humble Android Bundle. Lovely game, but now I can't load it without it instantly crashing. Might try the desktop Linux port instead - although I'm not sure how much fun it'll be without touch-screen controls.

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

If you sign into your Humble Bundle account you should have access to the windows install files for Waking Mars as it was released on windows after Android. Great game!

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That'd be great, if any of my computers had Windows installed...

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Ahhh. So your a true Linux warrior then. :rock:

Just had a look at my Humble Bundle download page for Linux and Waking Mars is there.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

95% - God no. I gave this a shot and was thoroughly bored after about 30 minutes.

You've gone too far with the hipster journalism this time Joe.

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I played it on PC and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm not even sure how it would work with touch controls. A beautiful, calm, quiet game.
    Also, jetpacks. All games are better with jetpacks, and this one is particularly good.

Mind you, if the sort of games you like are Call of Black Honour 7&1/2 this probably isn't from you. Nothing gets shot, although a few things get eaten.

10. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

some seriously high ratings on games lately, i remember the days of 95%'s being nigh on a once-in-a-blue-moon occurance

11. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

It's a bit more difficult on Android to do precision seed throwing while in flight. Still a cracking little time waster on PC and Android.

12. Gareth Halfacree

For my sins. The wife's laptop still has a Vista partition on it - I remember, 'cos I couldn't get Linux to play nicely with formatting a FAT floppy using a USB floppy drive, so had to use Vista on that to get network drivers onto my 286. That was the first time Windows had been booted in a few years, though.

Unless you count the Xbox 360's operating system as 'Windows,' in which case it's a rather more regular occurance!

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd think that Joe was deliberately giving out high scores to get people to play indie gems like this they might otherwise not take a second-look at (but I'm not so I won't :) )

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So KRZ has exploration, jetpacks, martian gardening and an over-keen robot too? Or do they both just have a similar art style?

If that's the case then I submit "Another Worlds" from 1991 as evidence that nothing is truly original when it comes to video game art style.

[​IMG]

If you running your 64bit OS can think of something visually similar that's available now then there's a good chance something equally similar came out a decade or more ago.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  15. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

lighten up, joe said they were both 95's that means same to me

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

@greigaitken - Sorry, I was just trying to be humourous and failing :(

Actually, I'm very happy this game's been reviewed so highly (Rob Florence gave it a lovely write-up on Rock, Paper, Shotgun too). To see a game where the main goal is cultivating life and exploring your environment is refreshing, and I think I'll be picking this up in the future.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2013
  17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This does sound interesting...

18. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Tags: Add Tags