1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WASD or ↑←↓→ ?

Discussion in 'General' started by riggs, 13 Dec 2005.

1. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

I used to use the arrow keys. Then I got tired of sliding my keyboard off to the left every time I wanted to play a game so I got one of those Flexiglow Cyber Snipa game pads. It uses the WASD keys, but the buttons are layed out in a much more apealing fashion for me. :)

2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

WASD all the way babeh!!

if you use wads you have more buttons around your hand that you can use aswell, makes sense

3. TMM

TMM Modder

gawd that is odd. would've thought you'd want something a bit more responsive then the keyboard for firing, but yeh.

4. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

WASD + Mouse is the perfect control system. Ya can keep ya controllers console gamers, we have keyboards :p

-=Ħұß®¡Ð=-

5. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

^^ Indeed (whoever you are).

I use WASD.

Oddly, although I write with my left hand, I use the mouse with my right. (I suppose I couldn't be bothered to keep reassigning the mouse buttons way back whenever...)

- H.

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Haha I use WASD for cs and fps games since forever but I tried using the KEYPAD that was actually ok...

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I used to use the arrow keys when i had a "brick style" keyboard, but since i got my thin or low height, keyboard. i used WASD :thumb:

8. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

WSAD :thumb: just because it is more comfortable than the arrow keys for me.

Ctrl: crouch
    Left mouse: fire
    Change weapon: q
    Space: jump
    Numbers: weapon select

Basically the counterstrike setup :D

9. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Arrow keys here! Stuff like reloading and changing weapons can be done via the mouse since its got about 8 buttons! Stuff like crouching and jumping are done by the right shift and alt keys. Any looking around is done by the mouse, obviously!

10. babychaos

babychaos What's a Dremel?

Left-handed...

I use the number pad (8,4,5,6) with all the buttons around for various controls. The arrow keys are used jor jumping, crouching, running and teamtalk (all controlled via the thumb). Page Down is my generic action button, with other keys (Inset, Home etc) for less common actions (with index finger), and Num-pad enter is my reload (with the little finger)

I used to use the arrow keys until I played Jedi Outcast, when I needed loads of keys to use the force powers.

I've taken games back before now for having sub-standard key re-binding options (Battlefield 2, Worms 3D). Too many games have right hand defaults, and limited options to swap them over. Every game should be as easy to re-bind as Unreal Tournament (its quick and easy, and allow multiple keys to a single action...) or its badly designed.

BC

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

ZQSD here, for I'm an Azerty type of man ;)

12. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

I was watching my kid brother playing Half Life (1) the other day, and he uses arrows, except when he need to jump, he takes his right hand of the mouse, puts them on the arrows, then puts his left hand on the space and makes the jump? i was like WTF because it was soooo slow. Also does this when reloading, using and flashlight etc

Ages ago i used to tilt my keyboard to the right, and put hy hand like this:

forward=9
    back=5
    strafe left=7
    strafe right=3
    jump=0
    use=+
    reload=enter
    crouch=page down
    sprint=page up
    weapon scrolling=8 ad 6

4,1,and 2 were just spares for anything else
    This way, my arm was across my body, but my wrist wasnt cocked at a bad angle, like the arrow keys make it do. Also i could lean on this arm.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2005
  13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

For gaming WASD offcours, you also need (at least) QERC. Mouse for direction/looking.

14. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

for games likfe freespace il use arrow keys (that game just hoards key controls)

FPS is all wasd, w misalignment isn't enough to deter me from having acess to other interesting things like force powers (big jedi knight fan)

15. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

WASD because you look retarded trying to hit space when using the arrow keys.

16. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

WASD here, arrow keys are just silly :p

17. riggs

riggs ^_^

Some very interesting responses so far...

How about mouse invert?

If I'm attempting to play an FPS on a console, I'll invert the up/down controls, but for PC FPSs I leave the mouse as normal (ie, push to look up, pull to look down).

18. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

first time I ever played Halo I was tripping over my own heels because the stick was backwards. just cent get my thumbs to work like that. KB/KP and a mouse any day

19. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

WASD for me to, think i stoped using arrow keys after doom and duke 3D. made more sence for me with more controls in reach and the mouse for movement.

20. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Def AWSD, it is so much more natural to me!

In fact my layout is pretty much the standard CS layout... it's perfect!

I was a firm believer of cursor keys back in the days of doom, but that was before you had to look up and down - Page up/down just don't do i for me ;)

As far as invert goes, I hate it... it's just not natural to me - if I push up I want to go up, if i push down I expect to move down. Simple as.