1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Website Critique

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by C-Sniper, 20 Apr 2013.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hey all,

So I decided to put my website domain name that my father has had registered since 1995 to good use. I have been using wordpress to help get everything rolling and was looking for some critiques and some recommendations from the tech crowd. This is a combination blog/photo-gallery relating to all things engineering, science, aviation, and photography.

http://www.ryanwaters.com

This website is not mobile friendly yet, and I am looking into how to make it so

I am already trying to figure out how to wrap the text around the sidebar, but it seems the way the theme was programmed this will be easier said than done.

Thanks!

2. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I've been recently using joomla for a couple of friends who's sites I am slowly making.

There are some great themes for blogging and it's very user friendly. Many themes have mobile ones that accompany them. I use to use Wordpress many years ago and aren't so ofay with it anylonger. If your enjoying the learning curve with making a site then perhaps a look at joomla won't hurt. It may be more to your liking.

C-Sniper likes this.
  3. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

If it's a 2 column theme then you can't make your posts take up the space on your side bar. if you really want to you could split the main content into 2 rows. The top half would contain your first post on the left and the navigations (your side bar content) on the right. The bottom half would contain the rest of the posts taking up the whole width of the content area. Other than that I think it looks good, white on grey text is easy to read. If I am picky, I would add a tiny bit of letter spacing in your main text.

C-Sniper likes this.
  4. C-Sniper

I'll definitely take a look at it! I am planning on moving this domain to something other than the current one so I'll take a look at it then. Thanks for the info!

Well the entire theme was supposed to be 2 column but I was able to turn it into a 1 column on the individual pages. I was thinking about doing the same trick on the home/blog pages and then re-adding the sidebar into its own <div>. think that would work? For spacing do you mean horizontal or vertical spacing?

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

One thing I'd say is the banner at the top is far too big. Take away the "A Website Dedicated To" line, and tighten the borders up. You've got loads of space above the PEAS, yet the text at the bottom is resting just above the line.

6. C-Sniper

Ok, so remove the "a website dedicated to" line, bring up the "Photography, engin..." text closer to PEAS, close in the bottom border a bit, and reduce the size of the entire thing?

7. sourdough

sourdough Minimodder

I mean letter spacing as in adding letter-spacing: 0.01em; to your p tag in your .css file. Did you change your line height? They look too spaced out now.

8. C-Sniper

I haven't changed anything with the line height. I only changed from the full article being displayed on the front page to an excerpt.

9. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

If you ever want to sell the domain name, feel free to pm me :)

10. C-Sniper

Ok, header has been updated and spacing has been adjusted. Anything else?

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

PEAS is not centred. Neither are the menu items just below PEAS. I'm not a big fan of the serif/sans serif font mixture down the right hand column and the varying sizes. Also the word "photogallery" looks weird, perhaps hyphenate or just call it photos, gallery, pictures etc. Photogallery isn't one word anyway.

I do like the colour scheme and simple layout.

12. C-Sniper

Photo Gallery is two separate words, the spacing seems to suck there. I'll add an extra space and see if that doesn't clean it up

I'll see what I can do with the centering. I am using a theme and just customizing as I go along trying to make it suit my needs. Although with the current position it seems to draw the attention more to the article than the sidebar which is what I would prefer

And I have been trying to bring everything into a sans-serif font but the CSS doesn't seem to want to play nicely :grr:

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Honest opinion? crap

look at the themes http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ and re do it

14. C-Sniper

Last edited: 8 May 2013