1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

That car deserves its own thread ;)

2. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

forgive my americanness, but ive never seen the insides of one of those before. the mechanical fan and radiator placement is interesting. we dont have any front wheel drive cars that use that particular setup here. and the transaxle is tiny/non-existent!

3. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I just put my new car in the Purchase thread

2012 Hyundai Tucson in brown

[​IMG]

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just looked at that and thought "That looks like a Hyundai ix35 to me... I didn't know they even made Tucsons anymore"...

A quick google tells me I am half-right:
    in Europe, that's an ix35 (in Southern Africa as well). In America it's a Tucson, so they still make one, then.

In Japan it's called "JM", by the way "Joyful Mover", apparently.

They're part of the affordable CUV bracket that's also quite attractive to me. Good buy, TGS.
    I know they're INCREDIBLY well specced for the price here, the 2.0 Diesel 4WD being the one you want here. It comes standard with sunroof, reversing cameras, iPod Dock, Hands free, etc etc

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To my knowledge the Mini (and derivatives of) are the only common cars these days that use that setup, everything else I've seen uses the traditional radiator placement. :)

6. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Tbf I think it's a better idea for a small car that doesn't need heavy cooling stops the radiator getting chipped, mines completely fxxx atm because I scooped up a big stone.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Have any other cars ever used a side radiator? I can't think of any, but then my knowledge is nowhere near as good as some on here.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I think it was only the mini that used the side mount, frankly it doesn't need that much cooling. I heard of stories from a past lecturer who raced them in his youth that for Sunday heats of 3-4 lap racing they would pull the aux belt off to free up the engine, this meant no water pump or alternator. Even after 4 hard laps the car would be fine, except for battery charge (easy fix). Only after another heat of 4 laps who it need a cooling lap with the aux belt in place.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I couldn't think of any, but saying "No other cars used it" is a very bold statement for the internet. :p

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Last edited: 24 Aug 2012
  11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not really an update on my car/shed more a question. thought i had a worn rollbar bush as it made a lovely clank noise over bumps.
    Went to swap them both as a precaution and found id need to drop the front subframe and steering to even get to them so rapidly gave up on that. turned my attention to the brakes which where singing so new pads. Found on teh right side the outer pad was nigh on gone so the wear marker was going and the inner pad had a slight amount of wear on one corner but had at least three times the braking material left.

As a precaution i cleaned the calliper and checked for any signs of damage. Nothing there wound in the piston which appeared level and fitted new pads. Now should i do a full strip down etc or just put it down to a badly seated pad?

This is how the callipers look being a small car (corsa) it doesnt exactly need a lot to stop

[​IMG]

12. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

[​IMG]

May I introduce to you, Evelyn.

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I had a quick zip in one last month - Toyota sent me an invite to a VIP evening to check it out. Must have been cos I got my Celica TSport serviced there in spring and they thought I was a potential customer (if only!). Agreed it looks so much nicer in the flesh. I think my Tsport is a bit faster to 60, but I dare say the GT86 will be my next upgrade when 2nd hand prices drop below 10K. If fuel doesn't double in price before then...

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Any decent Hot hatch is faster to 62mph/100kph than that 86... but that's not what this car is about, is it?

15. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I know this isn't a car advice thread but I thought I'd ask here anyway. New job forces new car! Whooooop me!

I need an off-roader that will also have to be my daily driver. I can get work mileage but as it's also for home use I'd prefer something with decent running costs. It doesn't need to be Defenderish off road, it's just a farm so as long as it will tow a horse box up a muddy or snowy hill that will do me nicely. I will have about £20k, £25 at a push and for boring work reasons it has to be a new car, no second hand! :(

I think the forerunner here is the Skoda Yeti (coolermeister, you have one don't you?) it comes with a 180ps 2l diesel and every option box ticked for about £23k. Also looking at the Toyota Rav4, Hyundai ix35 (I currently drive and love an '11 Hyundai i10) or the Kia Sportage. Does anyone have experience with small off-roaders? It seems like all the smaller ones are the soft crossover type cars which I'm sure are perfectly nice but I need something a bit tougher. I'd love a Defender, growing up on farms they're my favorite car ever, but the one you'd actually want is £27k, and for that you don't even get electric windows.

Edit - forgot to mention the Nissan Navara. Always loved the looks but I can't imagine they're the easiest to use in supermarket car park for instance. And they only claim around 33mpg. Never owned a truck, but I love my old boss' Mitsubishi L200 and HIS boss had a pickup too, an older Ford Ranger. Both were really really nice. I suppose I'd have to drive a Navara at some point................

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Don't bother with any form of truck. The lack of mass over the rear wheels mean they generally have pretty poor off road performance.

I'd either get a 2nd hand Discovery 3 (don't get the early model 2.7 (i think) diesel, it's weak as gnats piss) or a nearly new top spec Freelander. The freelander is a surprisingly capable car and will almost certainly do all you need, in great comfort too. Not much boot space though, but generally a very nice drive.

You could even buy a very good 2nd hand Range Rover Vogue for that. Are you intending on going new? I assume so with the budget you are talking and then you are mentioning Kias and stuff....

18. jamesriley94

jamesriley94 What's a Dremel?

I have a 2010 Ford KA :D
    Lose it on the 10th of September though as I'm going to uni, but I do a lot of biking as well - so I have a Trek Domane 2013 roadbike too :)

19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

youre joking right?

they also have a lower center of gravity than most boxy SUV types.

and with a limited slip (which is standard on most trucks these days), 2wd performance is fine even with an empty bed, even better once he has whatever he plans on hauling in the bed. and you already have plenty of weight over your turning/stopping wheels once you kick it into 4wd.

im sure im bias as i own and 'wheel a ford ranger and love it, but saying the do poor off road is just crazy.

20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Don't get an l200 ours blew up pulling a trailer. I live and work on a largish farm and you really can't beat a Toyota hylux, the new ones are fitted out with satnavs etc and as good as a Merc c class on the road an can do pretty much anything off road. We have had one since 1998 200k on the clock never had to replace anything except for tires, I think top gear did an episode on them to.