1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What was your first mobile phone? And do you miss it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guinevere, 30 Apr 2012.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My first ever phone was a 5110

[​IMG]

Had a similar cover too.

Then I had a Nokia 6110.... the best phone ever IMO.

This is my actual phone. I still have it, and it's still as new. It now has white LEDs in the display and purple in the keypad.
    [​IMG]

Then a 6210.. still got that too.

Then some other Nokia I can't remember

Then a Sony Ericsson W810i.... which is still my current phone.

I have never had a smart phone, nor any great desire to have one :)

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Nokia 3310
    [​IMG]

Whilst I miss having an indestructible phone, I do not miss all the other things :)

3. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

My first was this
    [​IMG]
    Sony Ericsson T610 - Legend phone

After that I had a Nokia 6680 which was okay but it always pissed me off how crap the PC interconnectivity was,

Then bought an iPhone 3G
    Then an iPhone 4.

That's it, not much of a phone person to be honest.
    Upgrade is due on the 8th and not yet sure what to go for, am on Vodafone and am thinking the One X... decisions decisions

4. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Nokia 3310. Well the only thing i miss is the real Nokia Snake game but then there are knockoffs aplenty in Google Play so i'm not too bothered.

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

My first phone was a cheapie from my parents, a Sendo S330:

[​IMG]

It did the job well - I was only 8, so I didn't need it for more than texts or calls to my parents. Pity the company went bankrupt a month after buying the phone.

Mind you, I did spend endless hours trying to perfect the bowling game...

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Motorola Startac

Nokia 3310

Motorola V66

Motorola V600

Motorola Razr (which I kept for a very long time, because nothing better came along)

A brief dalliance with a free upgrade LG Prada, which I sold to buy a new Windows OS, while going back to the Razr

And in the end... iPhone 3G

iPhone 4, which is the best phone I've had since the Razr. I'll never go back to dumb phones.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nokia 3310
    Nokia 3410
    Nokia 3100
    Samsung E700
    LG Chocolate/KG800
    Dell Axim X51v
    iPhone 2G/1st generation
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS

I had an iPhone 4 for about a week, but it was faulty and went straight back to o2. I didn't get another one, instead I went back to my trusty 3GS and the next one I get will be the iPhone 5 (or whatever it's going to be called).

My first phone: The 3310 was an awesome handset for its time. I don't still have it, but I do have the 3410 :D It still works, but hasn't been used for ages. I was lucky to have a phone so young, and the 3310 & 3410 were just about the best you could get at that stage. A lot of it had to do with my brother, who was working in a home electronics shop at the time that sold mobile phones. The 3310 had been around for a while when I got mine, but I got the 3410 as soon as it was available and it was a massive improvement!

I got a lot of enjoyment and a good 2-3 years of reliable service out of the Nokia 3100 which was the first colour screen phone that I owned. I also still have it, and it also still works :)

I had the Samsung E700 for about 3 months whilst my 3100 was away getting repaired. It was on loan from the shop my brother worked in, and my first (and last) clamshell phone. It was a great little phone, and had more features than the 3100, but because it was only on loan, I had to give it back when my 3100 arrived back in FWO. I actually own an E700 now, which is one of my backup phones - that I have never needed! :D It was a hand-me-down from my brother.

The software on the LG KG800 could have been written by monkeys for all I know. It was a nice phone but was terribly hampered by the stupidest menu system I've ever seen on an electronic device :rolleyes:

I got the Dell Axim X51v PDA for my birthday the same year that I got my first iPhone. It was an awesome piece of technology at the time. It almost had the power to replace my laptop, and I used it a lot for a whole 9 months - until my first iPhone came along! I'm not saying that once I got the iPhone, I chucked the X51v in a drawer and it never saw the light of day again - remember that there was no such thing as the App Store, multi tasking or multiple screens of Applications when the iPhone launched. I still used the PDA, but not nearly as much. It got used less and less as Apple added more and more features to the iOS software, and the arrival of iPhone 3G was the final nail in the PDAs coffin. I still have it, it still works wonderfully and I still consider it to be a brilliant device for its time, but the iPhone blew it out of the water in every respect and every smartphone released since can do more than any PDA ever could. From hardware to software and interface to ergonomics, the smartphone was always going to win.

I couldn't survive without a smartphone now. I'd almost go as far as saying I couldn't do without it being an iPhone any more, but that's mainly to do with the 4+ year old data set that I have in my phone, which is essentially still the same data set that was started on my very first iPhone in November 2007. If I wanted to, I could switch to a different smartphone and still be as productive with it as I am with the iPhone, but the iPhone was in my hand and pocket before any other smartphone and because of that, it's still there today and will be for the forseeable future :)

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  8. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I hadn't really thought about it but this thread got me thinking about the phones I have owned. Turns out I have a bit of a love of phones and gadgets.
    Nokia 5110 - My dad still uses it for work.
    Nokia 7110 - I loved this phone, especially the slider and mobile web. It was on a contract with Genie.
    Nokia 5210 - wore throught 2 cases and keyboards before finally getting a new phone.
    Nokia 3330 - Bulletproof but not showy.
    Motorola Razr V3 - Looked superb, lasted 8 months before the software went fubar.
    Siemens A60 - Bridged a gap to my next phone. Not good.
    Palm 125 - A computer in my hand with 7 days of battery life. Loved it.
    HP iPaq 2210 - My first colour pda but 2 days battery life took a lot of getting used to. I started looking for a phone/pda cross so that I didn't have to carry two devices but my budget was small so I bought...
    Eten Glofish X800 - Small memory hampered it but I loved it all the same. It was the first time I hacked a phones firmware.
    O2 Orbit XDA - An improvement but the battery wasn't firmly gripped in place and it would periodically turn off.
    Sony Xperia X1 - What a phone, a glimpse into the future. The software was a little unreliable but this was the first computer in my pocket. It had a hardware keyboard, gps and Wifi as well as stunning graphics (anyone remember the goldfish screen?). Stolen on the way to a christening.
    HTC Desire - Bought to replace the Xperia. Tried it in a shop and loved it. Repartitioned and added rooted to get around the limited storage (went from 300mb to 2GB by locating the internal storage on a partition on the SDcard)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 - Switched to debranded firmware. Currently on ICS 4.0.3. My latest phone and I love it.

9. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

Motorola startac, took a full size sim and a pull up antenna, was great.

10. Unicorn

Oh, I missed a couple - my Dell PDA and a Samsung SGH-E700 that I used for a while when my Nokia 3100 was away getting repaired. That's right folks, I couldn't (or wouldn't, whichever you prefer) repair mobile phones in 2004 :hehe:

Edited my post above to include these :thumb:

11. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

My very first mobile phone which I still have 2 off both in excellent condition and working fine
    The motorola MR30 both of them are unlocked and are kept as spares in case my new phone has problems. picture taken with my one x my next phone after this one was the nokia 6600 the last in my oppinion decent phone nokia ever made after that one nokia went to pot especially with thier crappy N series phones,after the 6600 came my last phone before this one x the sony erricsson w980i not a bad phone worked great for the 4 years I had it

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  12. suragh

suragh Derp

[​IMG]
    Nokia N GAGE...

Nokia 6630/6680....

A tonne of Sony Ericsson phones then....

[​IMG]
    iPhone 4S

13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I had this badboy, even though it had a phone book you had to type the number if you sent a
    text, was one of first PAYG, £15 lasted 30 days only

[​IMG]

14. Bob Berkowitz

Bob Berkowitz What's a Dremel?

My life is always awesome! My family is what makes my life amazing. I love them so much. They are my precious. :)

15. Unicorn

Wrong thread! :lol:

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mine goes like so...

Ericsson T10
    Ericsson T28
    Ericsson T39
    Siemens M35
    Started working at a phone shop
    Sony ericsson T30
    Sagem MX-5
    Nokia 6510
    Trium Mondo
    Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 5100
    Sony Ericsson P800
    Sony Ericsson T630 White
    Sony Ericsson Z600
    O2 XDA
    Nokia 8910
    Stopped working at the phone shop
    Nokia 6670
    Sony Ericsson W550
    Sony Ericsson K700
    Sony Ericsson W910
    HTC Touch 2
    HTC HD2
    Nokia Lumia 800

Ive probably missed a few, best phone of the bunch, the K700i with the T39 a close second both solid and sill working perfectly now.

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

[​IMG]

use to work well as a door stop too :p

19. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Nokia 6600 was my first. Miss it...yes, mainly because the software was great in comparison to the Sony Ericssons that came after it.

So, it was:
    • Nokia 6600
    • Sony Ericsson K750i (fantastic camera phone in the right situations, can say that I probably haven't had a better one since). Bloody awful software after a firmware update.
    • Sony Ericsson W890i (gorgeous design, great enclosure, poor build quality underneath)
    • Some £10 hold-me-over Samsung
    • HTC Desire HD (great materials, but poor construction. Warranty was awful, made me move on).
    • 64GB iPhone 4S. A familiar platform, has been brilliant. The display could be bigger for some of webpages, but it is perfect for the interface. Best phone yet.

And through all this my mum had, and still has a Nokia 3100. On its original battery from 2003. Not the most macho of devices that I've carried, but it's still a darn good phone!

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I used to pickup all the hand me downs because i never used a phone and would just communicate via msn when i was younger
    i went through three of these
    [​IMG]

I've gone through about 20 phones since i was 8 or 9 only 3 of them i bought new myself

hours i spent playing snake and changing the ringtone from something crappy to something just as crappy