1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News When will we have enough Wattage?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

1500w or 2000w, Is Thermaltake Nuts? Most residential 115vac breakers in the USA are 15A or 20A max, Anything bigger is 220vac territory. :eeek:

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Absolutely ridiculous, it's spiralling out of control.

The saddest thing about it is the huge number of pathetic fools out there who'll buy these wasteful PSUs just because it's got a bigger number and an nVidia SLI sticker on it.

Who cares about electricity bills, safety, efficiency or the environment when our e-penises are in such dire need of extension, eh?

4. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

WOW! P=IV, so 120V x 15A breaker current = 1800W. I'm not looking forward to the day i have to hook up my computer to my house's 240V line for ovens to power my graphics cards.

5. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

Thats what im saying as well. nvidia and AMD need to get their acts together. I shouldnt have to go out an buy a new powersupply every time I upgrade my graphics card.

What will come next? will it be standard for cases to have two powersupplys? One for the GPU's and the other for the rest of the system?
    :duh:

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I think the necessity for a huge powersupply is exaggerated, and AMD and nVidia aren't so much at fault as the PSU manufacturers and the fanboys who'll rush out and buy the PSU with the highest wattage as soon as it comes out, whether they need it or not.
    The companies wouldn't produce such ridiculous PSUs if they didn't think the morons...I mean..market existed.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Power requirements sound very dangerous o.o

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

120 amps? I think someone read the manual wrong... 12 amps maybe, which is still an insane power draw for a computer.

Unless the thing is pulling something like 10% efficiency :jawdrop:

9. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

That'd have to be 120A on the output side. 120x12 = 1440W, which is pretty close to 1500W (and we know how PSU manufacturers like to fudge the numbers a bit).

On the 240V side, all the GPO circuits in my house are rated for 16A and most sockets are rated to 10A, so forget about 120 or anything nearly that huge. 10A x 240V is 2400W, which is why you see that number on a lot of heaters, microwaves and such. It's the most you can pull through a standard wall socket. At 100% efficiency (not gonna happen) a 2000W PSU running at full load would draw 8.33A from the socket.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

can it power my flux capacitor?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

roffles :D

I'll suggest that TT should release a back-to-the-future edn to them and see what they say.

When the lass asked if I wanted to look at their cases, I was desperately trying not to be rude, but I had to tell her the general opinion was that no one liked them :blush: Tbh, the main reason I visit the TT booth is that the HAB density is so huge.

HAB = hot asian babe. ;)

12. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

We all like increasing performance, but in an ideal world, we should be able to have double the processing power and half the power consumption next year.

H.B.

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

"Honey, I'm booting the PC, can you turn off the oven please?"

14. evan316

evan316 What's a Dremel?

Power Consumption

The power supplies rated at 1200 watts and 1600 watts would draw roughly 12 amps and 16 amps max. If the computer actually used this much current all of the time this could be a problem, but the power supply rating is all about the max you can draw not what will actually be used, 15 amps is the max that a typical wall plug is rated for. I will agree, this large a power supply is getting to be a bit much for a home computer and there is a chance that a circuit breaker could be tripped on the larger PSU. There would also be the need for the monitor and what ever else was needed, also keeping in mind that each wall plug does not have its own breaker, but will have most in that room on the same circuit breaker so this would limit other equipment in the room as to power consumption.

Evan

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The only thing that keeps me interested in new power supplies is that how much wattage can they pull off from such (relatively) small package. There's absolutely none computers out there that might require over 1 kW of power, let alone two.. Sigh. Hopefully no one will buy one.

Just for reference here's a 1,5 kW power from few years back and a normal-sized ATX-power. http://jipa.blondie89.org/misc/atx_p.jpg The watts are really becoming smaller :)

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

High powered servers often require 1kW or more... But they use different PSU's ;) (redundant, hot swappable)

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

But we're talking about home PCs here. And 2kW is insane. As somebody said on another "do we need that much (horse) power in a PC?" thread:
    I'll wait for the first generation of gfx cards sucking LESS power than the previous before I'll ever again upgrade.

18. flabber

flabber What's a Dremel?

The next thing you know there will be houses specifically made with a special powergrid for all the hardcore-gamers and modders out there... they call it Techville.

Seriously... 1000W or 2000W; most houses have ±3500W per group, and 3-6 groups in total. That would mean that if you want to play it safe, you should have one free group júst for your PC. That's ridiculous. The fact that the PC-world (with the exception of CPU's i think) still hasn't gotten it through their thick skulls to really think about the total use of their hardware proves that they don't care. They want more power and more speed, and being a bit energy-efficient can't stand between those 2.

19. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Lets just build houses with a second conection to the power grid so that we can have the house line and the PC line coming in fron the street :rock:

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  20. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

to be honest im not all that bothered by this (hear me out)

no system requires more than 700W right now,if that. 2KW is only a maximum not what it actually draws

what is the efficiency of this PSU when it is only running at Max 35% load

oh in regards to connecting it up at home

http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-RV484-1875-Watt-Hair-Dryer/dp/B000065DJY
    look at kettles, straighteners etc

things like this have existed for ages

Tags: Add Tags