1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why, just why would you ID me!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 8 Sep 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Actually, no. It's the demo disc. If that's rated 18 or contains un-rated content, they have to ID you. It's part of this "Not supplying games to people under the advertised age" thing that we're so keen on here.

As for the Bank account, with Lloyds at least, they require you to answer some security questions, and confirm personal details before they let you do anything with your account. When you open the account you prove who you are, and set up some security questions so you don't need ID to deal with your account.

As for The Sun.. I didn't count that as a valid publication, what with how god awful everything in that paper is.

I genuinely don't know how they get away with that one.

2. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I was ided when I was buying GTA chinatown wars for PSP. I lol'd

seriously guys, from an immigrant's perspective you people are hilarious when it comes to Iding people. I was refused sale of cigarette filters and rizla in sainsbury's because I did not have a british drivers license or a passport - I only had my EU id card and apparently that was not a proof of age good enough to buy less than pound's worth of tobacco related products (without the bloody tobacco!)

3. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Perhaps because it is still by far the best selling newspaper in Britain selling over 3 million copies a day. It may be the biggest load of tat out there but it certainly has some political punching power, something even the politicians realise.

The whole ID situation is a joke, pretty much like every other nannying policy that has been slowly forced on us.

It is unsurprising that migrants find it funny.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This would imply the use of a rational, cognitive and logical thought processes being used in any given situation.

In the retail industry in the UK, this is not allowed :nono: They neither expect, nor want, you to think if you work for them.

mvagusta likes this.
  5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

This thread was tiny the last time I saw it :eyebrow:

So Mars bar man, did this magazine actually have an R rated disc on it?
    And where is your driver's license?

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I know this has been answered already in the thread but seriously wtf is happening to this country if a PC magazine is now age restricted?

Now that confuses me even more! Vanilla extract? I am assuming you mean the baking product and it's not a euphemism for something more sinister? If we are talking about the food product why do you need to be ID'd for that?

In the UK you have to provide more information to buy a mobile phone then you do to take out a mortgage. (The conspiracy theory is because a mobile phone is basically a tracking device they want as much info on who owns it as possible). You have to jump through quite a lot of hoops to get a passport (understandably so) which is then delivered by a "secure courier". Which in my case was a pensioner in a fiat panda who delivered my passport to the wrong address (an empty flat) with out a signature.

mvagusta likes this.
  7. liratheal

The problem I have with The Sun is that it is so often wrong about everything, and so often clearly just sensationalises to sell papers (Not to mention the incredible hypocrisy the paper has displayed in the past), and last but by no means least, the reason I suspect most people buy it, the half naked girl in there.

It's worse, in my opinion, than The Guardian or The Daily Mail. It's probably snobbish of me, but the only paper I read with a pinch of salt is The Times. The rest are a fistful, or a kilo bag, of salt.

As for IDing being a nannying system.. I disagree.

The ID system is used to enforce laws, nothing more. Therefore, doesn't deserve to be accused of "nannying". The law, perhaps.

Although, I would argue that the "Challenge <age>" systems are rather more company policy based than law based. As you know, it was 18, then 21, then 25 in some places, and in a handful of stores down south, they operate a "Challenge 30" system.

These systems, though, are arguably because it is increasingly more difficult to tell certain age groups apart. I used to be able to look at someone and guess, within six months, their age. It got progressively harder as time went by, purely because the changes in trends seemed to try and add age on.

Really, if you want to blame someone, blame the underage drinkers who go out of their way to try and get served, then consistently get caught by police because they drink in public places, knowing full well that it's;

A: Illegal
    B: Their parents aren't considered "cool" enough to talk to, thus any chance of drinking at home (Thus a controllable environment) is sunk from the off. Most parents would say no anyway.

As for games, similar situation, kids try and buy games rated above their age because it's the "in thing" to get these items.

Personally, I blame them for being horrifically selfish. In every case of supplying underage people with whatever age restricted product, it's never considered the fault of the purchaser.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

long and short of it is a big retailer usually plays it safe as possible and doesnt allow the person at the till use common sense or think for themselves

they just dont need the hastle and bad press if they do sell something to a 17.5yo with an 18 cert

the PC mag is bizarre but it must have had some 18 content

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

:hehe: Touché.

I guess the general concept is foreign to me. I don't understand how someone can create a bank account without a valid identification, but get stumped at the corner shop while trying to buy a computer magazine. At my bank I have to provide a valid picture ID for every transaction.

It truly is a strange place we live, this place called Earth.

10. liratheal

To create a new account at a new bank, you need ID of some sort. To create an account where you already have an account, they already have your ID on record, so just simple bills/letters/etc will be sufficient for creating a second account with that bank.

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Vanilla Extract has a high level of alcohol its about 35% I think. They use a alcohol and water solution to extract the flavouring from the bean somehow. the pure extract is different from vanilla flavouring which has no alcohol and tastes rubbish. it also costs more.
    Some one in tesco's had the till beep at them when i was buying some, took one look at the bottle and just cancelled the age check saying "don't think we'll bother on that".

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

lol i never new that. Do they age check mouthwash for the alcohol content? :D

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Your 22 year old daughter shouldn't smoke. Bad for you :nono: There's little that makes me sadder than seeing a young person smoking.

As for the rest of the topic - yes, it's ridiculous that you got ID'd for buying a PC magazine. But as far as the member of staff asking you for ID, it's just her job. Silly and unnecessary but still her job. I had to ID hundreds (probably thousands) of people when I was working in an off-license. I was there for 5 years worth of weekends and got to know pretty much every regular customer by name, but company policy (thanks to my idiot ex-boss) was that everyone was asked for ID every single time. Of course I didn't do it when he wasn't around, but it was company policy.

PC mags is a completely different thing though. Some jobsworth in WHS has had a field day with that :rolleyes: "Obey me minions, for I am the WHSmith branch manager and you must do as I say!"

Sigh.

14. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Hey I am no fan of the Sun either, just used it as an example.
    I am also not against IDing as a means of identification for purchases like alcohol. That was not what I was referring to a nannying.
    Yes we need laws and yes we need a way of identifying somebodies age.
    What I was moaning about was the IDing of people who are quite clearly over the legal age, like the 67 year old in the link I posted.

I also blame the person who is deliberately trying to break the law, but to think you are going to stop under age drinking with ID cards is simply ridiculous. We all did it, way before anyone even thought of ID cards and I imagine no matter what is introduced in the future kids will always get there hands on booze. It is societies attitude toward drink that has to change not the method of enforcing it.

Unicorn it is even more saddening when it is your own child. Do you not think I tell her on a daily basis to quit?
    Wait until you have a 22 year old daughter and try telling her to do something. :rolleyes:

mvagusta likes this.
  15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

what a pc mag? they carded you for that.. sounds like you were trying to buy a playboy xD

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I always like to assume that is the case. I have seen too many young people take up that and other (perhaps worse) habits and not be able to stop. I hope some day she understands and stops.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I got IDd when buying a knife block at sainsburys.

Not a knife.

A knife block.

18. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I opened a current account through the Natwest website, opened it in 2008 and they still haven't seen any ID from me. All I got was some forms in the post 'sign here, here and here' - that was it. Strange thing ID at the moment, 10 years ago I was never getting asked for ID for cigarettes, even drink and now I'm getting asked all the time in supermarkets.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You need to know right off the bat that I'm a total computer geek. I am pathetic. You've seen all those computer magazines with names like 'Data Dweeb' and cover headlines like:
    INSIDE: EXPLICIT COLOR PHOTOGRAPHS OF BIG HARD DRIVES!
    or:
    WAX YOUR MODEM FOR IMPROVED SPEED!
    No doubt you've asked yourself, "What kind of no-life loser actually reads these magazines?"
    I do! All the time! I read them in bed! I look at the pictures of new computer systems and become moderately aroused and say things like "Whoa! Check ouf the 6X SCSI-2 CD-ROM drive on THAT baby!"

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Have you tried hanging up large color pictures around the house, of organs, limbs, teeth, etc, damaged from smoking, like the small pics you see on cigarette packets?