1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why wont you use Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mother-Goose, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've just been sitting here talking about Vista with the guys at work and it led me to an interesting question, namely, Why wouldn't you use Vista?

Now obviously there is hardware requirements which mean some people just cannot run it, but if you could (even theoretically), why would you not?

I've been using it for 7 months and I can see no real reason why you'd want to use XP instead. No reason at all.

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I don't feel like paying a few hundred euro for something that will be of no appreciable benefit to the day-to-day usage of my system.

From what I can gather, DX10 is currently a waste of time and Vista offers nothing else to make itself worth a few hundred quid that I could spend on upgrades with an immediate appreciable benefit, or something else entirely.
    I'll upgrade to Vista x64 when I move on from 2Gb of RAM and when DX10 actually holds some appeal for gaming without a painful dip in performance.
    Until then, XP does everything I want it to and I paid for it long ago already, so it's an easy choice.

To sum it up, if someone gave me a legal copy Vista for free I'd use it, because I have nothing against it, but I'm not going to pay for it. Not yet.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Its a question of change, IMO.
    Many people ask for change, but they don't want change.

Many people want something new, want to see new and improved features, but when they get it, they don't like it as they were too much change, or they are too many changes and they have to re-learn how to use it, or simply because its significantly different, those people find that they might/are loosing their set comfort. Like when you replace your old couch. Whatever you get, it will never match the comfort of your old, over used, couch.

Or let's put it in that way:
    http://cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070331
    And when Windows 7 is be out, it will be same thing for Vista users, Vista will be nice and comfortable and Windows 7 will have the spikes.
    And for WinXP users, well add a electric chain saw on the seat of Windows 7.

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

nVidia's Vista drivers don't (/won't? /can't?) support span mode - I need that for my video setup.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

buggy and much lower fps than XP
    Vista seems like a downgrade to me raver than an upgrade

6. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

I am using Vista myself. I had tons of driver issues and wound up having to buy new hardware. Even some signed drivers cause the occasional crash. My video card driver for example has a well known bug where it stops responding, a fix was made but then after installing more Vista updates, the problem resurfaced. Just yesterday I found an annoying bug with Windows Explorer that causes it to crash. The Microsoft employee was telling me that it's because my hardware is unstable. Go figure, a message that says "Explorer has stopped responding and needs to close. It will be automatically restarted" is because of my hardware?

My system runs at increased cpu and ram usage when compared to XP, and I have yet to find any benefits over xp. Honestly, if Vista 64 wasn't cheaper than XP 64, I'd still be using XP.

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

^Main points for me too. I also would rather spend the cash on hardware anyways, lol.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I have nothing against it, really, but see little point in upgrading at this stage since it contains nothing i'm interested in. TBH windows for me is just a platform to launch games from so realistically until i can afford good dx10 hardware its fairly unlikely that MS will ever offer any thing that interests me.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Obviously I use Linux on my day to day system (laptop), but at home (desktop) I switched to Vista for my moms.

All the ranting about instability, buggyness,... does not apply to my (old) system so it seems... My Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM and GeForce FX5600 runs Vista Ultimate with all the eye candy turned ON just fine... Not (seemingly) slower then XP did... But then again, I'm no gamer who sees the difference between 270 and 275FPS (note: while our eyes only pick up 25FPS)...

Buggy drivers aren't MSs fault, blame you HW manufacturer for that... Vista is out now, what, 6 months? And still companies can't be buggered to release drivers. Me being a Linux man are used to that, I choose my HW according to that. No support, no money from me...

Why don't I use Vista on my laptop, Linux was my choice...

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I haven't upgraded yet because:
    1) I'm not bothered about DX10
    2) I don't really want to spend £200 on a new OS while XP works fine
    3) The effort of reinstalling everything is too much. I've had this XP install for a couple of years now, and while I'd normally reinstall every once in a while, I've got everything set just so, and it's still plenty fast enough for most uses still. It takes a little longer to boot, but that ain't too bad really... :)

11. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Well I was slowly coming round to the idea of vista, but then all this talk of windows 7, I dont wana pay a couple of hundred for vista if it really is the new ME

12. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I've been using Vista since October '07 and although I've had one or two problems with it I love it, wish I could put it on my old pc as I have had nothing but problems with that ever since I got it and hate xp with a passion, nothing but a bug ridden PINTA.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why would I use Vista?

1. super fetch!
    2. Crysis Dx10 performs better than Dx9 in Vista (but with q_renderer set to 2 instead of 3, at 3, Dx9 performs better, even though it's meant to be a Dx10 feature)
    3. Aero interface, everything seems very nice. and the new start menu is just soooo much better than XP's.
    4. sidebar gadgets, got to admit, it's a great idea (same goes to apple's dashboard). especially love Everest's sidebar monitor
    5. i got it for FREE :p

anyway, can't think a reason why NOT to use Vista when one have a quad core and top of the line graphics card, it's not like the 5% FPS difference is going to make a difference, driver issues is a bit annoying, but it's easily solved if you read a few articles.

14. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

My reasons exactly!

15. iddqd

iddqd Minimodder

There's no real productivity benefit - aside from the built in search and indexing, I have no use for Vista's "features" - I use it because it came preinstalled on my work laptop, but I'm currently experimenting with dual-booting XP :D

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My reasoning has nothing to do with gaming. I like the cleanliness of XP.

And I especially like to know or have control over what the operating system is doing behind the scenes...

17. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

this. vista always seems to be working on something in the background. the hard drive is seeking, or the ram usage is spiking all over the place, or ... and it's not a virus, it's a clean install.

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

+1 from me as well. They way I saw it is that it is better than XP, even if only gor the GUI (and now that I've got it, a shed load of other things too, which I knew about but didn't realise how good they'd be).

so does xp....or at least it always did on my pc's.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, it's better to letting that 5000$ PC idle all the time...

I always love it when Joe average (no pun to Joe ;)) THINKS he is better at using managing system resources then an OS is...

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I don't give a ***** *** ****** of the eyecandy the Aero provides, I ran XP on 2000-theme as well. I care about as much of the side bar, seems like a waste of perfectly good monitor area to me. I got EXACTLY the same 3dmark-score on Vista as I did on XP, so I don't really know what all the performancehit-boohoo is all about either. A resource hog? It's a Windows, what did you expect?

For me this has worked atleast as XP ever did, so I have absolutely no reason to use XP anymore. It's not like I wouldn't have made the change at some point anyway.

EDIT: and about seemingly random HDD-accessing and stuff.. One night I was just falling asleep when I thought the rig was about to self-destroy or the roof was falling, so I jumped up and came to see if a HDD was failing. Actually Vista had decided it's good time to check the HDDs for fragmentation. Dunno if it does this all the time, I think it's scheduled for some night now on my setup..

Tags: