1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 10 Update Disables PS2 and All USB Ports

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Lord Blobbery, 15 Sep 2015.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

So the title pretty much sums up my present technology woes. I've been using Windows 10 without issue for the last six weeks or so with no issues since upgrading, until two weeks ago (3rd September if I recall correctly). It must have been quietly downloading an update in the background, because it needed a restart (one of those things where it asks if it can restart now or in 10 minutes).

Upon restart, I noticed on the login screen that my keyboard's backlight was unusually dim, and that mouse and keyboard inputs were being ignored. So I restarted again, and this time I had no backlight at all. Got to login screen; inputs ignored.

I tried all USB ports; no dice. Only this week I finally remembered to borrow a USB-PS2 adaptor; still no dice. GTX970 behaviour appears unchanged - visual output as expected, and semi-passive mode still works as normal.

I have since tested both mouse and keyboard on my laptop, where they work just fine.

After disconnecting the boot drive, the keyboard and mouse sprung back to life. I have since disabled fast boot (both Intel and MSI versions), which gives me the time to at least access the UEFI before Windows kills them again. I have fiddled with the legacy USB support in the UEFI (I have yet to tweak the others, partially for fear of exacerbating the situation), but regardless, the disabling of the PS2 port indicates I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway.

Thus it would seem Windows 10 is to blame here. I don't currently have a recovery disk to hand - I think I'll go out and buy a USB stick to make one tomorrow (shift work Cheesecake). Since my SSD is the only drive I have installed (and this is my only desktop), I'd really rather not have to format the whole thing.

Is there anything specific I can tweak from the UEFI end to undo these changes? Or is there any way I can access Windows' safe mode without a recovery disk and fix things from there? And how in the hell can an update kill a port which was designed in 1987?

Hardware:
    MSI Z97I Gaming ACK
    i5-4690K
    Corsair CS450M
    MSI GTX970 Gaming Edition
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Much gratitude/appreciation/goodwill in advance for help. Which I need.

tl;dr Downloaded Windows 10 update, restarted, PS2 and all USB ports dead to Windows. Still work fine in UEFI though. Please help.

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

can you get into recovery and roll back?

3. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Ah! I didn't know there was an option to do this without recovery media - just looked it up on Microsoft site and noticed. Thanks - have to leave for work in 10 minutes, but will try when I get back.

4. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

probably a driver update as part of one of the updates has gone a bit awry rather than anything else.

5. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Huh... well that's worrying. Standard system restore through recovery mode is being thwarted by:

"An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8000ffff)".

Tried it with two separate restore points. Will see what I can do with an ISO USB stick in the morning.

EDIT: Cube is back in action! Apparently the machine was lying when it said the restore wasn't working. So that's a thing. I'll run the updater, restart and see what it throws back at me. Wish me luck! Thank you for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2015