1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 SP1 due this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I'd move on to Win7 when the goddamned router of mine supports it, or I'd be stuck without internet.

3. Breathless

Breathless What's a Dremel?

Or just upgrade your crappy router?

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

how is a router needs to be supported by the OS to be able to work....?

back on story, im just hoping they can iron out the networking issues (path routing,network discoveries, domain controllers, etc.) so i can run it in my office.

thus i agree. with SP1 coming out, theres a big chance M$ will be reaping some extra loads of $$ due to business interests.

5. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

or buy a new one :)

plus a router is just a router and will work with any OS, unless its one of those apple ones.

6. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

Corporations don't tend to upgrade their OSs until the first Service Pack, so all the initial teethin gproblems have been ironed out, so this could be just a push to get the REALLY big orders in, from those who didn't upgrade to Vista.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Hmmm... If I time it right, I can get an SSD, install a fresh W7, SP1, and zip away with awesome performance!

8. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Having used it in beta and RC forms for about 6 months before release and officially after release with a full copy of ultimate I would have to say I have been silenced in most of my M$ grumblings, they finally did something right. Service packs earlier rather than later are fine in my opinion. Iron out the big creases and you can get the small stuff later.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

so I guess vista will get sp3 :D

10. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Well the router might be supported but the NIC is a different story - I've only got drivers up to Vista for my 3Com card. Thankfully W7 did support the integrated NIC on my mobo so that's the only reason it works and I'm online with it now.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

some of the routers dont play nice with windows 7 on wireless

12. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Routers don't need drivers... so the operating system will not make a difference. What you're talking about is the drivers for the wireless card which are causing issues. In my experience i have had more problems with windows vista drivers and xp drivers for wireless than I'd care to remember. So far I have not seen a single problem with wireless drivers on 7 and i've even tested some pretty old wireless cards on 64-bit 7 which have no actual 7 support and limited support for vista (32-bit). They were even flaky on XP but again no issues on 7.

If your NIC has Vista drivers chances are they'll install and work with 7, have you tried?

I have no issues with a quick SP1 for 7. I think the OS is much more stable than any previous OS prior to their SP1's. The early release should represent that. Though I wouldn't want them to rush anything out without fully testing it first as that will have the opposite effect on users.

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I want to know where's Vista's update!

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nothing wrong with a early Service Pack, more convenient than having lots of separate updates, besides it makes sense for MS as well, it means they can have some new skus for the Christmas business.

15. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

you don't need any drivers for router

what you need is just go down to the shop buy a wireless lan usb adapter (the thing that sends and resives signels from router)
    you can get a good one for under £20 and win7 supports most with its own drivers

anyway i think that it will be good when m$ release service pack 1 for win7, hopefully it will be released before september (so i can get it on student offer (ultimate for £50))

16. rimscar

rimscar What's a Dremel?

yep, for me W7 is far more "malleable" than Wxp--i run the former on my personal workstation and home pcs/laptops so supporting my client xp machines i find myself really missing some of the basic functionality of W7!
    i've certainly seen some issues such as BlackSOD, and my technique for snap still needs some work (lol), but i would say W7 is a big win for M$, so credit where it is due.
    so not bothered about SP1, as i don't have any issues with it!

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

XP SP4 Cheesecake.

18. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

its not so much that im botherd about sp1 its just when it gets to the point you get to every year or two it is nice to do a bit of spring cleaning with a fresh install and the service packs make this so much quicker

19. MitchBomcanhao

MitchBomcanhao What's a Dremel?

wish it'll fix the bug i got on the photo viewer application.
    if i'm clicking right arrow to browse through the photos, suddenly the command will jump from the "next" command to the top buttons that say FILE, PRINT, EDIT, etc. it is very annoying and I have experienced it since the pre-beta stage...

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The difference was, in XP the driver was native by SP2/3, in Vista the same driver when accessed from the installation disc still worked and then IIRC that was updated in SP2. Trying both for Win7 didn't work, the integrated NIC did, so I moved on and embraced the integration because it just works as well for doing the same job - given that I don't believe in wireless, too much hassle.

I'm struggling to think what would require a SP1 for Win 7 on the 64-Bit side of things, but I did upgrade to it after the Black/Grey Screen of Death was sorted out.

Tags: Add Tags