1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows install not happening! :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by buzz_lips, 11 Sep 2006.

1. buzz_lips

buzz_lips What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I've encountered an unique problem for in that my rig refuses to install XP. The problem I'm having is during set up - I usually get a message saying that it cannot find a particular dll file. After several times it always seem to be a different file it cannot locate.

I thought it was the disk at first but attmepting to install Win2K results in the same issues.

I've tried both CD/DVD roms both appear to be in order although they are both on the same channel so I need to try them independently and with a diff data cable which could be the issue.

I'm also getting numerous blue screens which would appear to be driver related as the error is normally driver related.

I'm just wondering if a duff CPU might be the issue? Would this cause such issues in trying to locate files.

The computer was a tad flakey before I tried to re - install windows which was actually my reason for doing a clean install.

I've never in my life had an issue like this so I'm a bit stuck!! Please help!!

2. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Errors like that will be one of a few things:

+ bad RAM, which Id say is most likely

+ a bad install CD

+ or if you are doing a repair install (which it doesnt sound like you are) WMP 10 being annoying - thinks the files reinstall it should be on the XP CD for some reason, of so just click cancel on the errors

It wont be the CPU, if that goes bad the PC doesnt work

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

If it was flakey before I'll agree with alpha, the RAM is most likely to be bad.

Other then that it'll be the install CD.

Or even a hard drive problem if it can't copy the data correctly it will throw a wobbly.

4. buzz_lips

Cheers guys i'll see if I can identify a dodgy stick of ram later then. I did wonder if ram might be an issue. What a bummer!!

The built in version of memetest on the dfi board will identify any potenital errors won't it!?

Pretty sure CD is ok as I got the same issues when trying to install Win2k.

5. buzz_lips

UPdate, defo ram just got some nice gskill and the everything seems verry happy indeed!!!

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Ok, your avatar is weirding me out.

Tags: