1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sixfootsideburns, 28 Dec 2012.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Right now newegg has a deal for the MSI GTX 660 Ti/OC for $239 (with a rebate) vs. the same card in a PE addition for $289 (with rebate) or the no OC PE addition for $279.

I have two questions, 1) is the PE addition really worth the extra money? I know if has two fans so its likely to run a little cooler/quiter, but does that justify the price increase? And 2) if I plan to OC the card on my own does spending the extra money on a factory OC do me any good?

Lastly... A separate question, EVGA has the non OC 660Ti for only $229 with rebate. Anyone have any particular reasons to go MSI over EVGA if I go with the non PE version?

Thanks in advance!

2. rollo

rollo Modder

I personally only buy evga on nvidia side but that's me.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Get the $229 one. Even with the blower cooler, it's still a chilly card.

4. sixfootsideburns

Even if I plan to OC it? Think it will still stay fairly cool?

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Get the cheaper evga one, if you're going to spend $289 you might as well lay down a little more and go for a 670, there is 670s for under $340 with rebate.
    I have evga 670 and the stock style blower worked fine, stay cool with air out the back of the case not inside and quiet.

6. sixfootsideburns

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!

7. sixfootsideburns

So as a follow up to this post... I'm curious what you consider a chilly card. I ended up buying the EVGA Superclocked 660 Ti and so far its been pretty cool but I have been surprised by the temps. Under load I easily see temps into the mid 60's. Would you still consider that normal? To me that seems a little on the high side.

I mostly play SC2, but I do play on max (or nearly max) settings. Mainly the reason I ask is because occasionally I get (forgive me if this isn't the right term) clipping during gameplay. The graphics go all wonky and I get random jaggies all over the place. I don't have a screen shot of it, but my assumption thus far has been that its because my card is getting to hot.

If mid 60's seems high and people think that might be the problem then I bet I need to take a look at my air flow inside the case.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2013
  8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

65°C is low for a graphics card. They usually go up to 80°C during normal operation. Older models like the Radeon 4870 idled at 80°C.

9. sixfootsideburns

Man, that just seems high to me lol. Well crap then... I wonder whats causing those graphics problems during gameplay. If its not overheating then I don't know what it is.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2013
  10. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

Running a MSi TF4 670 PE with a slight OC, I reached a high of 56C today playing Boarderlands 2 (everything maxed, 1920x1080) today. My idle is 30C.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Drivers, or your card dying are usually the causes of what you've described. Does it only happen in starcraft?

12. sixfootsideburns

yeah and only occasionally... the card is brand new too! I already have to RMA the mobo I really hope I don't have to send the GPU also

Right, so I'm peaking at about 10C higher than that at load and my idle is probably closer to about 28C