1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox One announced as next-gen Microsoft games console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 21 May 2013.

1. PlayLoud

PlayLoud What's a Dremel?

I haven't heard anything about a CableCARD tuner. Are they expecting all these people who now want to watch TV through their xbox to purchase a USB CableCARD device? I think most people (after watching this video) would expect to watch TV without any additional purchase.

2. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Any news on how the fee works on replacement consoles (after theft or damage). Gotta be honest the 2nd hand fee would be understandable with Sony, but Microsoft take £40 a year for xbox live so this extra fee just seems a little greedy. I can't wait till they're both out and hopefully push the WiiU down in price a bit more.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

If i would have to guess it was the price for publishers signing exclusive deals, and the whole "second hand" fee goes to the publishers.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

No its not insane. If you can play the SAME game in 2 different xboxes at the same time then you should have to pay for it twice. They are being reasonable in that you don't have to pay full price after the first purchase. One thing they can't do is keep charging £40 for a AAA game, because then people will turn to pirating.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Article on how TV is rumoured to work (not sure if confirmed or not):
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4...xbox-one-microsoft-didnt-learn-from-google-tv

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I think it's literally so it can be shortened to the X1, which sounds pretty sweet to me at least :)

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I think it's literally so it can be shortened to the X1, which sounds pretty sweet to me at least :)

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Except for the slot loader, I actually quite like the look of it.

A nice obsidian lump to stick in the hifi rack.

Also: "Fish will also swim away from you." hmmmmm

Last edited: 22 May 2013
  9. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

You guys are a funny bunch, I don't understand your logic(s) at all. It's just a black blox w/ vents where is all the rage/angst coming from? As long as it doesn't RROD this time around from a lack of vents and cooling and sound like a vacuum cleaner while it does so it looks fine. If it happens to look like another black box w/ vents made in the past 20 years...*well whatever*

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the wii u has the tv `thing` and whilst it works in the USA , it hardly works in the rest of the world

12. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I don’t mind how it looks. Just wonder how noisy it will be, the last one was like a 747 taking off.

13. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

I heard Tivo being mentioned, wonder if it will work with the Virgin Tivo box's? not overly fussed though TBH

14. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

If you look in to Sony share price it jumped when rumour surfaced about possibly spinning off its music and movies divisions so its not all about M$ofts Xbox reveal.

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Happy for what it'll do for PC gaming

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With the new Kinetic being able to switch on via voice command im guessing that means it's always listening even when off, doesn't this open up security concerns.

It is very unlikely Microsoft would spy on its customers, but its not beyond the realms of reason to think of some malicious software infecting peoples XBOX.

17. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I can't see the different types of RAM between the PS and Xbox making a huge difference, or at least not for a year or two until devs have got used to getting the most out of that 8-core chip. By which point 16Gb of faster RAM will be available for the PC for about £30.

If it moves games towards being more multithreaded then that'll be interesting for the PC, there's not been much point in having more than four CPU cores for gaming so far.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Unlikely, if we talk about standard ways of obtaining stuff. Could be happening once people start modchipping and hacking their consoles, you never know what extra stuff is bundled with the hacking tool.

Still, we probably talk about a very low level (and low power) system running, which only listens to XBOX On command :).

19. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

People should stop smugly comparing PC HW to console HW ,it doesn't stack up. Some industry devs claim the PS4's 8GB of unified GDRR5, in a ultra low latency APU setup, utilising LibGCM (low level programming) .Has the potential to put PC and its Windows API layer shielded HW in a very difficult position- even very high-end rigs .

PC gamers could be in for an 'upgrade to play' shock. Nvidia will likely move to GPGPU low latency designs just to keep up with possible future 'to the metal' PS4 titles. Yes, we've seen better Epic 'demos' on PC recently: Infiltrator; Samaritan; Elemental... but extracting that performance ,in-game, running Windows, going through latency anchor DirectX is impossible currently.

20. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

At the end of the day this is after all a console consoles in my humble opinion are killing pc gaming as many games we get today are just console ports which is not good

Tags: Add Tags