1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xp, LCD and WXGA

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by HACKSTAR, 11 Jul 2007.

1. HACKSTAR

HACKSTAR What's a Dremel?

Hi All I have just bought a 20" LCD TV that accepts PC input, the problem being that it only works at 800*600 in SVGA mode which is crap, but the instructions say it will run at much higher resoloutions in WXGA mode.

What is this WXGA mode and is there a way to configure windows xp to output in this mode or is it dependant on a support graphics card?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Are you using display properties to set the resolution? what graphics card are you running? Are you using the latest drivers from the manufacturer?

3. HACKSTAR

its an onboard graphics card being run buy an intel 82945g controller, I downloaded the latest intel drivers last night but still theres no obvious options in the display properties to swap output modes

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Make sure you're running in single graphics mode I.e. not powering the laptop LCD at the same time.

5. HACKSTAR

its a desktop PC, is WXGA only available on laptops?

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

What is the maximum res the TV will accept?
    Have you ever had the graphics solution in your system running above 800x600 even on a regular monitor?
    How old is your system?
    How are you outputting to the TV? (VGA/S-Video/DVI?)

IIRC WXGA is only 1366 x 768 and any modern graphics card should be capable of that however you frequently have to tell it (the drivers for the graphics card) to support HDTV resolutions.
    I know that at the very least this is the way with Nvidia and ATi cards that I have used in the past, and the majority of Intel integrated chip sets that I have used don't support above 1280x1024.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Intel graphics in the 945g are pap and don't support all resolutions that most GPU manufacturers do and you can't frig it with powerstrip, still you should be able to go higher than 800x600, I am sure I used to use 1280x720 or 1024x768 at the very least.

Other than that you'll have to hack the driver for custom resolution, I'd do it for you but I no longer have the hardware to test it, perhaps some one on here can help.

8. HACKSTAR

Cheers guys

I can get higher resoloutions when connected to a normal LCD monitor but when trying them on the widescreen HDTV the screen goes blank and I get a no signal error. I am connecting via a VGA cable.

Looks like I'll have to chuck a dedicated card in there, one that will support HDTV resoloutions. Can anybody reccomend a cheap suitable one for me, AGP or PCI?

Cheers Guys

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

as you are using a 945 onboard solution I assume you don't hope to game on the thing so something cheap like a 6200 or 7300 should do.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You can't game for crap with the integrated stuff, but you can still have your desktop cranked to almost any resolution with them. I've got a 915 onboard in my fileserver that was driving 1920x1200 when I was setting the thing up (before I pulled it and set it up headless). It seemed to like reverting to 1600x1200 for some reason, but either one is well over WXGA and you've got a newer chip anyways.

If memory serves there's some odd workaround to use onboard with (HD)TV sets because I don't think they ever played too nicely for some reason.

Or, you know, just see if the resolution slider goes further to the right. SVGA/XGA/WXGA are just stupid notations for resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, and around 1366x768 respectively (according to Wikipedia, WXGA is rather loosely defined and could be anywhere from 1280x720 to 1366x768; most 720p TV sets are the latter for some moronic reason). You don't have to change any output modes or anything, the *GA notations are just names.