1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Yet another possible upgrade thread.... (might give in to the IPS love)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 28 Nov 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hmm, well the 2410 isn't really in my price range if I'm honest, since based on looking around, seems to be the same kinda price as the 27" Hazro? :/

I'll wait until the Hazros come into stock then by the sounds of it.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Which Hazro are you looking at?
    I can't any good things about their after sales service, only bad. So if the monitor has something wrong.. expect to have a very... interesting weeks in trying to get your fix. And people are saying that the warranty doesn't cover anything that is what is likely prone to break.

So I note a buyer's beware on Hazro products. I guess that is why they are able to acheive such low price. If something is too good to be true.. it usually is.

3. GeorgeStorm

Was going to get the cheaper model (8bit panel) since I only need 1, possibly 2 inputs, but can certainly live with one.

I've not heard a lot about them, and why should it break? I've had various 'cheap' monitors and not had a problem with any (apart from one i dropped off of a shelf, causing a rather nice gash, but thats besides the point :p)

I'll wait regardless, see if prices vary at all, might be able to pick one up 2nd hand or something.
    Am actually very tempted by a U3007WFP for around £400, but the total lack of warranty does scare me a little.

4. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

MCSCOM are currently offering a refurbished UltraSharp U3011 for £715, with a 3 year warranty (last item in their Monitors page). I've purchased from them a couple of times and received good service (including a replacement XPS main unit when the one they shipped had a damaged case).

To get one any cheaper, you'd have to order from Poland (Rip-Off Britain strikes again...).

If you can afford it, I would recommend getting as large a monitor as possible and sitting as close to it as possible. Having a screen that fills your field of vision will add an extra level of immersion to gaming.

Graphics cards can be upgraded (via SLI or Crossfire) while a monitor cannot so it is worth making the stretch to get the best you can - a good monitor should last several years also so has more long-term benefits that almost any other computer component.

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ AstralWanderer,

£715 PLUS VAT, which is a considerably less attractive £858. Still good though.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Manufacture errors can happen. The cheaper model is the funniest one (to me). The Hazro HZ27WC. It fails in so many places I don't know where to start. First of all, I know what the reviews says... it has good scores.. but these reviews look at price for what you get. I don't. I look at the product at a global level. If I know I am not going to enjoy having and using a product, I don't care about the price (obviously with some reason).
    In order to get my "this is a good monitor", it needs to pass all my minimum standard in image quality, build quality and features.

Here is where this monitor fails:
    -> Glossy frame
    -> Glossy panel
    -> Non adjustable stand
    -> The monitor hold the stand, not the other way around, that's how cheap the stand is.
    -> Menu nav... oh wait there are none. Don't like the settings? To bad! You have 5 brightness level to pick from, with no on screen information on which one you are. It's that bad.
    -> Menu navigation.. heh...sorry. I mean power and brightness control button are hard to reach.
    -> Power adapter is outside the monitor and using propitiatory plug.. if it breaks... well no monitor.
    -> 0 after sale service

So really, what you are paying is a LED row backlight, IPS panel, slap together with what they laughing call a stand, and ship it. 0 engineering, 0 thought on the product. It's like if you decided to make you own monitor and you have no knowledge on how to do so. You just purchase IPS panels, make a plastic mold, and slap all together with a row of white led's and call it a day.

I don't know. I can't stand such product. I am annoyed seeing them (as people buy them), because all it means is (as people vote with their wallet) "Give me a glossy panel! Give me cheap quality! I don't care about warranty and product quality. I don't care about anything just a big screen. Stop arguing with me, take my money!". Laugh all you want, but this is why all "home class" laptop and computer are filled with junk, no OS disk, terrible build quality, overheating, noisy, cheap quality, and bad after sale service with product with 1 year warranty.. and now I am starting to see 90 days warranty electronic product.. how sad.

Another point that explain my view, is that I used to be on the budget market. not for monitors, but for the computer itself, including keyboard and mouse. I was like: RAM is RAM... I'll just get the value RAM value pack, Motherboard is a motherboard.. I'll get the cheapest. and so one and so forth. I got crap. System ALWAYS had problems, and RMA's was near impossible, it was easier and simple to just buy another budget product. I spent so much money on my budget system.. while when I did the jump to high quality products, which I did for my lovely AMD Athlon X2 4400+ Socket 939 (not OC), nForce 4 32xSLI, Corsair PSU and RAM. I NEVER had a single BSOD or problem. It ran XP fine, and Vista 64-bit beautifully, and now it runs Windows 7 64-bit proudly, and you can feel you can still play games with it with a newer GPU, despite it's a almost 7 year old computer. Budget crap.. me.. no more.

Anyway that is my view, and that is why it will never make it to my recommendation list. But if you feel I am wrong, or simply that my downside doesn't affect you, then well, by all mean buy it. It has great reviews, so it should not be terrible.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  7. GeorgeStorm

Hmm, thanks for the post, didn't know a lot of that stuff about it.
    Certianly gives me a lot to think about, since something I don't think I've mentioned, is that ideally I'd like to keep a 16:10 ratio as I far prefer it, which was one of the major downsides about the 27" monitors :/

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

16:10 is the reason I eschewed the U2711 in favour of the U3011. Screw the extra cost, the 30" owns the 27". :D

9. GeorgeStorm

Thought I may aswell update this thread rather tha make a new one...
    Lots of things have happened to me when it comes to money, and computer bits and pieces (discovered mechanical keyboards which has been a bit of a drain on the wallet)

But, I'm once again working out what I want to spend my money on upgrading my computer.

And it's lookingn like monitor/headset are the options, since I'm happy with everything else really.
    Just bought a U2311H for a decent price, which I'm aiming at using as a second monitor in portrait mode to go next to my Hanns.G so I can have internet, chat clients, music player etc open while watching something full screen on the Hanns.G

However I'm still tempted to change the Hanns.G to something else.

A friend suggested getting a projector, which is really tempting, since it would be awesome watching films on the wall of my room rather than my monitor.
    Other options are getting another DELL monitor to accompany my new U23 when it arrives, would be looking 2nd hand.
    Just wondering if there are any other IPS panels which have come out which I haven't heard of which would be worth looking into?
    Sadly once again this ugprade depends on whether I'd be able to sell my Hanns.G for a half decent price :/

Sorry for the essay of a post

10. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Just FYI, the Dell U2412M does have the advantages of an IPS' viewing angles, but it's made slightly moot by the back-light bleed. However, unless you're really determined to perpetually look at it from an angle it's not an issue. I personally got used to it fairly quickly. It's a good quality screen for the price. Also, viewing angles aren't really a deciding factor in buying screen IMHO.

I can only really mirror the opinions in here. For gaming, the 24" will be more than sufficient and comes in at a good price point. If you want to watch films, then the 27"+ may be more your preference (although a TV would be superior).

As a U2412M owner I can recommend it as a good monitor for the price.

11. GeorgeStorm

Well, currently I watch quite a lot of media on my 28" Hanns.G, both TV shows and films, and it's awesome.
    So obviously going smaller wouldn't be as good for that (in my opinion) however for gaming I don't think I'd overly mind going slightly smaller.

And about the viewing angles, don't really mind, since obviously I'm not going to be sitting at my computer with the monitor at a weird angle :p

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I mainly went for the U2711 due to the resolution and size, picture quality was a factor too obviously! Would never go back to TN resolutions now, U3011 is the only place left for me to go!