1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [09/08] - Memories, Black and Blue

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Da Dego, 23 Sep 2008.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Memories, Black and Blue

[​IMG]

Taken from the Vietnam War Memorial called "The Wall", a man kneels to the name and memory of one of the first fallen.

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Very nice mate.

I would personally say that if he was alone it would have had a greater effect, as all the others reflections are kinda drawing away.

:)

3. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

I personally feel it would have been much much stronger if the model was doing something with the wall (hand on wall, flowers, etc). Rather he's reading a piece of paper in front of this tragic reminder of war. Its just not as powerful for me. I don't feel a strong "blue" emotion coming from him.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback so far.

@outlaw: Unfortunately, telling about 600 people to please clear the area was not about to happen :) Besides, I found that afterward, I appreciated the contrast of some people just shuffling by compared to the quiet reflection of this particular guy. However, I agree that the reflections are kind of distracting, and I think I might soften them down a bit in future processing. I like their presence, but not their clarity.

@akpoly: I agree that could have made for a bit of a more poignant image. However, this wasn't a model - it's a raw capture of someone who I have no clue of and his personal moment there (The monument, if you've never been, is really quite powerful - if you have, though, you know what I mean). I look at the fact that his paper is actually in a protective leaf for a binder (and zoomed in, it is actually a short epitaph/bio of the soldier) and see a strong personal connection, despite the lack of contact - this is something that the guy has SAVED. So though I agree with the thought you're proposing in principle to lend an immediate heartstring pull, I would rather have an imperfect natural moment than a perfect but posed one out of this particular area - it seems more...respectful.

5. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

I only called him a model because he is posing for your shot even if you didn't stage him. Don't know what else to call him, haha

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

spam reported (mod you may delete this post now as well)

Last edited: 27 Sep 2008
Tags: