1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 1070 or 1080 for a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shielder, 9 Oct 2017.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi all, I'm looking to get a laptop to replace my Clevo based Scan system (nearly 5 years old now). I do lots of compute intensive work but I also use the laptop for gaming. I'm looking at either a 7700HQ or a 7700 based system, but I am really thinking about the graphics card.

I'm not interested in anything more than a 17" FHD display, so is a 1080 overpowered or will I see any benefits, particularly in longevity?

Actually, thinking about the CPU, if I'm running a 7700 or 7700K with 8 threads running, how hot will they get in a laptop chassis?

TIA guys.

Andy

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

GTX1080 will be overkill for any FHD workload (unless you play PUBG, you may be able to managed medium-low settings).
    If you do a lot of compute, go for a system with a 7700K.

Clevos (and any laptop) throttle and throttle hard without proper cooling. Perk it up on the back (don't use those silly coolers with fans because the fan is never in the right place and depending on the layout may even cover your intakes).
    Just be aware that as soon as you get it, you're gonna probably need to clean out the TIM and apply some Coollaboratory Liquid PRO or ULTRA (this delays the throttling).
    Maybe undervolt the CPU as well (can't undervolt Nvidia GPUs since 9xxM series). This may require custom BIOS, depends how far you're willing to go vs warranty.

Something like this?

EDIT: just realised I linked the 15" version, they also have a 17".

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its a laptop, you won't upgrade it so get the best GPU, it will last longer for any future title.

TheMadDutchDude and Vault-Tec like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I think that is how I would do it too. If you can afford the 1080 (and it sounds like you can, given you are considering it) then get it. The 1070 is borderline low-high end atm but as soon as its replacement comes along it will just be a mid range GPU.

5. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be going for a 1080 based system. Might not be for a couple of months yet, have to save... :thumb: