1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Questions Relating Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 14 Nov 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

Ok, Im looking around my bios for my ASUS motherboard, and it has a thing called, 'Graphics Aperture' and it is set at 64mb I believe if I remember correctly. Can someone tell me what this is or means, because it has options to set it at 128 and 256 and stuff, and its default is 64mb, but idk.

My next question is, my PSU (Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480watt) has decent voltage rails on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails, but on my 12 volt rail its moving around the 11.977 - 12.1 volt area, is that bad, and its mainly around the 11.977 volts area.

I'd appreciate it if someone helped me out.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

AGP aperture size is the amount of system memory that the card can map for textures etc. Never fully understood why this is needed, but generaly it's accepted that this value should equal the amount of RAM on your graphics card.

More reading here

Your PSU is still within ATX limits, but voltage swings like that usually mean it's struggling to deliver the current needed. If everything is stable, then don't worry however.

3. XplicitContent

Can you please help me out whether how I know if my PSU is stable around those ranges? I want to be safe. If it isnt safe at 11.977, I will RMA my PSU maybe and just use my 6 month old Aspire 550 watt PSU because that had good voltage rails. Unless my current PSU is fine, what do you recommend? I dont really want to go through all the RMA process and pay for shipping and whatnot either.

Thanks.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

11.997 is WELL within ATX limits, worry not.

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

You should be concerned when it drops below 11.9ish; that's when you can tell it's really starting to struggle.

6. XplicitContent

Alright. Thanks guys!!