1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 2GB 680 red screen of smeg

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feathers, 26 Apr 2012.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I thought it was a faulty USB peripheral when I first happened. Windows desktop turned red. But it happened yesterday with a BSOD too so then I figured it may be the motherboard. A thermal issue perhaps. Today, again, into windows, this time however, it seemed the screen turned red (a blank bright red screen) as soon as Speedfan loaded. Now this is interesting because speedfan accesses certain hardware for information including GPU. Also my speedfan is timed to load 1 min after windows loads via the task manager so I could see right away the red screen came as soon as speedfan loaded.

It has happened twice today and both times when speedfan loads but it doesn't always happen.

Now I know it's not mobo but GPU. The GPU runs perfectly even on overclock for extended periods so the GPU is ok. No artifacts or other issues. Since this red screen started a few weeks ago, I believe once the red screen appeared I would have to reboot PC, today I didn't do that and after some seconds, the display returned to normal and a message appeared saying the display driver had crashed.

I looked on google and saw that others have also been experiencing this.

Been using the first certified 680 driver. Haven't installed the beta cos it looked to me like it did feck all but improve the 500 series.

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Strange. Usually I only hear of Hardware Access Errors like that when the system is loaded, in particular; CPuz can crash machines that are running Prime95 on ocassion. Could be that Speedfan itself is at fault, loading from the hardware in a manner that causes instability? Could also explain the fact it's not a 100% certain thing, too.

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

There is a newer speedfan but I haven't installed it yet.

Thing is though it has happened to others and not everyone uses speedfan. Could be a few other temp monitor programs can trigger it too. Must wait and see.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1235717/evga-gtx-680-red-screen-of-death-video-anyone-know-a-fix/10

^^^^^^

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Looks like one of the leading causes is Overclocking. I would be so amused if that was the case...

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Overclocking of cpu....

I am at 4.9ghz.

This kind of issue should be resolvable with driver updates. Now I know it's a GPU and not a mobo issue I'm not so worried. I was thinking I'd have to ditch this mobo but it works fine.

My 680 is very stable 90% of the time and no problem overclocking it. Since I have observed twice today that the red smeg was caused by the loading of speedfan, I can see if it's fixable.

6. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Last edited: 26 Apr 2012
  7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

called the huang screen

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes I am. I have speedfan running all the time and it starts 1 min after windows boots. I run Aida manually when I need it. Interestingly the Rsmeg has never happened when I've started Aida but may be the fact that it is running. The Rsod hasn't always happened at boot when Speedfan starts, it has happened a few times at random. Aida may have been loaded. I have Aida gadget showing temps, clocks on the desktop when I run Aida.

Huang the D.J.