1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 2xGTX 670 Cheesecake OR 1xMSI 7990 help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Craig_T, 19 Mar 2015.

1. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a bit of advice..

Currently I have 1 EVGA GTX 670 Cheesecake in my rig, along with a AMD FX-8370E CPU both of which are watercooled.

I only have a dual rad/single pump setup (they cool fine now, even when OC'd)...

There is a MSI 7990 with a waterblock on available for £265 and then sell my 670 with block for I would hope £150+ so it is costing me only £100, give or take for the 7990.
    OR
    I can buy another 670 for around £100, plus a block for £60 and backplate for about £30, costing me £170, then my worry will be that I would need a bigger radiator as there are more blocks to go through and two cards to cool.

I know the 7990 is 'Dual GPU' too, would I also struggle to cool that on my current setup? What would the performance differences be between the two setups?

Last edited: 19 Mar 2015
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Anandtech bench has a comparison for 680 sli vs 7990, which puts them as pretty much level pegging:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/813?vs=766
    The extra gig of vram on the f.t.w. Might just give it the edge though.

Either way, you'd probably want to put another dual rad in the loop.

3. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

My Cheesecake is only a 2GB version, so it doesn't have the additional over the 3gb's on the 7990.. So, I guess I am looking at the 7990 being the better one, since the 680 is higher spec than mine is and it's only getting pretty much level?

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I think you'd be doing well to get £130 for your card with the block to be honest.

Is there any reason you want to go with a dual GPU over a single GPU? Maybe a new, and more powerful single GPU would see you right.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sorry I thought all the Cheesecake were 4gb. They run as fast as a 680 as they come, so will be pretty much as the benches show. I'd go for the 7990 if it were me. The money you'd save over getting another 670, block and backplate can be used to get an additional rad, fans and anything else you need for the loop.

6. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

They've been selling on ebay with a stock cooler for 100-130...

The main reason I guess is cost, the 670 plays the games as I want them but I have been looking at getting a better monitor which will have me playing a better resolution and want higher quality graphics so think the 670 may struggle at that point... The 7990 seemed a cheap option, to get 'more' as it is but I wanted to make sure it was that and the two 670's were not going to be better.

Sounds like a no brainer I guess then! Thanks

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends what the 7990 will cost you. A 970 is sub £300 whilst not as fast as either setup it's alot more stable fps than either setup. Depending on resolution your playing at it could well be the better option.

8. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

I'll be looking at 2560x1080 resolution... I need a watercooling block too and there is a 7990 available with block for £265...