1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 3700X Cannot reach 4.4Ghz, is it my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CabanaBanana, 23 Jul 2020.

1. CabanaBanana

CabanaBanana What's a Dremel?

I cannot for the life of me seem to get 4.4Ghz single core boost clock out of my 3700X. I tried testing with cinebench R20 and watching HWiNFO while running the single core bench, and it simply won't push to it. Closest I get is 4.35Ghz.

I have tried:
    Clearing CMOS
    enabling PBO
    Tried it with it PBO "Auto"
    Ryzen Balanced Power Plan
    Ryzen High Performance
    Updating bios and chipset to latest

I am wondering if its my motherboard, I am also wondering if this is normal behavior?

Specs:
    Ryzen 3700X
    Asus TUF B450M-Plus Gaming
    16gb 3000MHz
    Stock Wraith Prism Cooler

Am I being overly critical about this? Is this normal behavior? Is my stock cooler keeping me down? Could it be the motherboard?

Just for the record, every thing else runs smoothly, I am just trying to get advertised boost clocks.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Do you have the latest BIOS on the board ? I know shortly after release, virtually nobody got advertised speeds, but thought more recent BIOS releases had cured it.

3. CabanaBanana

yes latest chipset and bios with latest AGESA 1.0.0.6

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What temps are you getting? That board will power it fine, although the VRMs may get a bit warm.

5. CabanaBanana

single-core load getting around 62-65c

all-core load getting under 78c

this is with PBO disable/auto, with PBO enabled it all jumps up a bit.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You could just be hitting thermal limits then.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Couple of suggestions from my own experience messing around with various Ryzen processors:

Have you tried the 1USMUS Power plan alongside the bios tweaks in the following link: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html (there is also a write up on TechPowerUp as well). It is meant to help by ensuring the current processes stick to the fastest cores and/or stops them jump between various cores.

In my case the bios settings alone seems to have locked in a slightly higher boost on my 3950X and resulted in a CB R20 score consistent with reviews (520-535 range)*. Should be noted that I don't actually see 4.7Ghz in practice as there is generally more than one core boosting at any one time and the advertised boost is max single core.

In terms of temps do you see any improvement to boosts if you set the Wraith Prism to run at 100% (ear defenders recommended...)? I do recall Hardware Unboxed found a decent aftermarket cooling made a positive difference to boost clocks when compared to the stock Wraith Prism cooler. I can't however remember if this was just on the 3900X (125w TDP vs 65w on your 3700X) though.

That said all of the above may still result in a single core boost of 4.35Ghz with no bios tweaks or playing around with PBO making a jot of difference.

*Both under custom water on a MSI X570 Unfiy and my current ROG X570I board in the H1 (so 140mm AIO).

EDIT: Just remembered, as a comparison my wife's 3600x will happily hit the 4.4Ghz boost on her GB B450I board (120mm AIO) so sometimes it can just be down to how the chip wants to boost (silicon lottery I suppose).