1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3x GTS450 0n XP 32bit

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by StreetSam, 3 Nov 2010.

1. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Hi All,

OK I have a EVGA680i SLi mobo with 2Gb of RAM and 3 GTS450s (1Gb each) running under XP Pro 32bit.

First up I know this is a bad idea, however I didn't think about it at the time I brought the cards.

Anyway it works fine, I don't know why but it does but the cards get ~11,000PPD each on the right WUs and ~8000PPD each on the others.

So what the hell I thought lets do it again, this machine is the same, but even on the good WUs the cards only get ~9000PPD, and the machine is unusable, it is so VERY slow at doing anything.

I've had a look in System Information and it says I have 1.54Gb available.

I have a slight thought that the hard drive is on the way out as it sometimes isn't recognised at boot, could it be this?

Otherwise any ideas? (Please don't say get Windows 7 64bit).

Can I manually map the memory as I don't need all the video RAM?

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Are you asking why the two machines are behaving differently, or how to speed up the second machine?

Using Windows XP Home 32 bit, I can fold on four 1GB 9800X2 cards, with 2GB RAM on the mainboard. The machine is slow on other tasks even when not folding, but it is usable. So I think you need to be looking at detailed settings or hardware differences. What happens if you use the Files and Settings Wizard to move the settings from the good machine to the bad one?

3. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

How to make the second machine Fold to the level of the first, I don't really care about it being otherwise unusable, as it is a dedicated Folding machine.

However having given up playing with it, it seems to be Folding at the same pace as the first one now. Oh well I'll just leave it alone.

4. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

What about specs? Are both machines identical - CPU/RAM/HDD/PSU!
    What about any software running in the background which could affect performance.