1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors A first car?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 23 Aug 2012.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Or Autotrader it up

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

A Honda Civic would also be a good choice for the size, the 90's models are some of the most reliable things out there!

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I couldn't fit in a Fabia properly, and I'm only 6 foot 1, though with excessively long legs for my height.

I drive a Mk. 4 Golf, can pick up an earlier one for around a grand. Nice and substantial too, leg room shouldn't be as much of an issue either.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I would feel comfortable driving my '91 Civic down into the depths of Hell, making a quick pass through Mordor, then going underwater James Bond style and driving it work the next day with no problem.

And there's plenty of room in the back.

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I would say avoid Vectras. Vauxhalls of that era are a bit dodgey - the people I have know to have them haven't been very pleased at all.

Also, as appealing as they can be for VFM, avoid French cars. I have unfortunately only owned French cars and they are made out of tinfoil and plastic and don't seem robust at all.

Given your requirements, how about an Audi A4 Avant?

You can pick them up cheap (circa 1999 model), it is an estate, plenty of leg room, well built/reliable and comes with a variety of engine sizes to suit your wallet.

Personally, I would go with a Golf or something. They are roomy for small cars and pretty well put together as long as it hasn't been obscenely abused.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Fixed

At a lofty 6'6" myself my first car was a 1.4 Seat 'Beefa. It was cheap, fun, well built, solid as a rock and comfortable to drive. The only thing to ever go on it was an engine sensor of some variety that cost £50 to fix and the dealer I bought it form covered that particular bill.
    I then went to a Renault 19, then a 106 neither were as much fun as the Seat to drive. Best thing is it was only group 3 insurance FFS.
    My 106 1.5 d is solid as a rock engine wise, the body and other stuff, not so much, the MOT is in a few weeks so we'll see.
    I'm looking at what to get if it fails. I'm kind of on the same budget as you, I'm thinking 306, Leon, Mx5, civic or Toyota something.
    The 306, civic or Leon are top of my list

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Wow, I leave Bit for a couple of hours and suddenly, ADVICE!!! TONNES OF IT! I like this.

I like the idea of an A4 Avant, I'm going to check out the insurance on them in a bit. I've also thought about the idea of a van, like a VW Transporter type thing. Not sure on the insurance though.

8. Ljs

Ljs Modder

VW Transporters of any kind of age usually command a very high price (admittedly I haven't looked recently) due to the 'scene' and people wanting to convert them into camper vans - even the old ones I'm afraid.

Good luck though, there are always bargains to be had out there...

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

That's what I was sort of thinking about doing really! Stick a 22" TV in there as well :p

I need to grab some insurance quotes for the cars listed so far first!

10. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

honda civic? 1.5ls? got £1500 1y no cl with mum and dad and 1year passes test. not the best looking but well made and easy to pimp (LOL)

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Given the OPs' size, and his budget, and other requirements, it really has to be a 1.8 Mondeo. It's a no brainer.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

I say Civic again! :D Don't you want a car that you can feel comfortable driving through the middle of the earth? :lol:

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, update time. I've been offered a Snot Green coloured 1L 1995 Nissan Micra for free from family. Which I've decided to take up. It's a car, and will get me to and from work, it'll build up my NCB making the Alfa Brera that I want so bad a more realistic prospect!

Thanks for all the advice though! I may give this thread a revive in a year or so when I've got a little more money saved up!

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

...you fit in a Micra!? :eeek:

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

A mate has one, and the seat goes back about 8 miles, so I can just about squeeze in.

16. KidMod-Southpaw

Awesome! It's better than nothing, and at least your insurance will be a little less astronomical in a few years! :thumb:

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Exactly my thoughts! £500 FC, means I can drive my Mum's 1.9TDi Octavia as well. Won't complain at that!

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

My kid brother had a micra. He is as lofty as i am at 6'6" too. He found it ok. Sure it isn't the most roomy of vehicles but drive-able none the less. And you can't grumble at the price you got it for.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Now that is a proper first car!

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

if he removed the drivers seat and sat in the back and cut a new sun rood in the back for his head to pop out of :D