1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ad-blocker-blockers may breach ePrivacy Directive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

"While there already exist ad-blocker-blocker-blockers..."
    I bet you giggled while writing that.

3. Methanoid

Methanoid What's a Dremel?

Which AdBlocker-blocker-blockers are there? Anyone tried using AVForums with AdBlocker knows they disable functionality... so... how do we block that?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And the game of whack-a-mole continues.

A quick Google turned up this one, and this one for ABP.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

uBlock Origin with Reek's Anti-Adblock Killer plus TamperMonkey in Chrome works pretty well.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

On the rare occasions I find a site that blocks me, for using AdBlock, I just go and look somewhere else. It was not so much the ads which led to me using AdBlock as the number of times I was sat here looking at a blank page, because an adserver was not responding and thus preventing the web page from loading.

7. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

tweaktown should read this. haven't been back there because the site won't show. wonder how the people that give product and payolla feel about potential viewers not seeing their review products? hardocp is a little bothersome too. don't go there either. and to be honest I don't miss either site.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

My understanding of the cookie law is we ended up with nonsense banners which create implicit agreements to download cookies. I'm sure anti adblock would be the same. A banner will tell you by using the site you agree to be scanned and as soon as you scroll down the page or click a link it will invoke the the anti adblock scanner.

Sites will just operate the way they always have with just the addition of interaction event detection to trigger the script or download cookies.