1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Advantages of proxy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChriX, 20 Jan 2002.

1. ChriX

ChriX ^

Ive just setup IE to connect to the internet via the proxy server running on my smoothwall box. Im just wondering what advantages there are?

And I still cant send files over MSM to people :(

Cheers

2. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

a web proxy (like squid) caches pages on the proxy machine, so theorectically things you've accessed before load faster. If you're only using one machine with it, it's not generally worth it - if ywo people are using the same proxy though, and person A has looked at website 1, then when person B looks at website 1 it will load straight from the proxy much faster (hopefully)

advantages increase based on how many people viewing the same sites use the proxy.

3. ChriX

ChriX ^

ah cool, thats what i thought. I have 5 people using this one so it ent too bad.

You cudnt give me any help on making smoothie let msm out will you, it lets it in now.

cheers

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

i could hazard a guess but you're better off waiting for Fly to get over here, he's bound to know.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I cant send files out, but can recieve, that has never been a problem, which I find strange in your case... however, I can send across the LAN, so all is not lost... I never really send ppl massive files anyways, I just upload them to webspace if they wont fit onto an email :D

However I am interested to know if there is a way to enable the file sending, cos you never know when I might want to use it ;)

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

you can't enable the MSN file sending beacause when MSN requests a port from your machine (usually one of the high ones) Smoothwall automatically ignores it.

Basically what happens is:

Somebody asks to send you a file, when you accept your MSN sends an outgoing connection request on a random negotiated High Port and as Smoothwall does not block outgoing connections it will succesfully connect to the other machine.

You ask to send a file to somebody, they accept and their MSN sends an outgoing connection request on a random negotiated High Port but as Smoothwall does not accept these incoming connection requests on high ports it fails.

here is a bad diagram where you are A and the person on the other side is B, Smoothwall is S... :)
    [​IMG]

You can enable the a range of ports to accept incoming requests but it defeats the point of having Smoothwall.

The reason it works on LANs is because it doesn't go through Smoothwall.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Cheers Fly, I thought that would be the reasoning... Smoothwall takes it as an intrusion attempt, and thus stops it... I knew that the reasoning was to do with the IDS, but I could not explain it...

Well, you learn something new every day ;)

Cheers Buddy :)

8. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

that would be why everything work for me then...I have ipchains set to allow everything through....

security? pah ! what's the use if it messes everything else up

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

hehe... IMO I'd go for security tho :p

Tags: