1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling AIO pump connection to 4-pin PWM header?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bungletron, 14 Feb 2018.

1. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I just purchased a Fractal Design Celsius S24 240mm AIO cooler, it has a single 4-pin PWM cable that powers the pump and fans out to control the 2 fans. I assumed it makes sense, running from a single cable, nice and tidy, so the pump runs at full speed/12V (ignores PWM signal) and the PWM signal is passed on to the fans but just read from the blurb: "...Both fan and pump speeds can be managed by an intelligent auto mode or switched to PWM mode for precise user control. "

Does this make sense to you lot? Since the pump and fans are controlled by the same PWM signal then the pump speed cannot be separately set to 12v, a bit of a flaw. I always thought the pump should run at full speed and then control the fans or is it ok to tweak the pump speed too now?

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Right! Installed, minimum pump speed is 1950 rpm and that is what is reported, actually that is on the spec too. Temps are low and it is quiet, so this solution is good!

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh should be absolutely fine to lower the pump speed in low temp scenarios. It'll keep it quieter and probably increase the lifespan of the pump. It'll have an internal temp sensor to keep things in check.