1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD denies Kaveri delay rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

i can't wait

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So the rumour of it being delayed until early 2014 aren't true but if you want one, you'll have to wait until Q1 2014?

I see the "spokesperson" had to sound off the PR Marketing BS at the same time as admitting you can't get one until 2014.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Unfortunately it'll still be a 28nm-process, and the CPU will still be miles behind intels offerings.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AMD's claim is that the rumour of a delay is untrue, 'cos they always intended to release it at retail in 2014 - the Q4 2013 timeframe was for OEM availability. So, in other words: the rumours were right in when it will be available, but wrong to call it a delay. So says AMD, anyway.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

7. Snips

Gotcha, as clear as mud but hey, it wouldn't be AMD any other way :)

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Does it really matter? I mean, intel will release their Broadwell-chips (mobile Haswell-refresh in 14nm!!!) in Q2 2014.

AMD will be 2 years behind intel by the first half of next year in the notebook/mobile segment, where performance/Watt is cruicial.

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

We'll see. Last word was, Intel was having problems with the 14 nm process.

Obviously it can't be denied that AMD's behind, but coming off as gleeful about it is stupid - do you really want the whole game to belong to Intel on the desktop? Aren't you paying high enough prices for processors? A competitive AMD means a more competitive Intel, and lower prices for all of us.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Bit late in the day to think AMD has any influence on Intels pricing. Look at the top end 2011 platform CPUs they cost nearly £1000.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Mac Pro using Haswell Pro cpu`s will be using NVidia onboard gfx...... what does that say about GT3e...

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Does not say anything if I'd spent £2k on a laptop I'd want a dedicated Gpu chip also.

13. Snips

Clutching at straws when some say we have to thank AMD for keeping Intel's prices down. There needs to be competition before any effect on prices occurs. Sadly, there hasn't been any for quite some time.

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Intel is overpriced, it's a fact. I do not hope to see AMD back to the "high-end" competition, but I have great hope to see better APUs in the future (read : low TDP and mid range IGP perf). If they can reach 7850 performance level with their IGP, then it would be a pure win for me.

EDIT : Thin mini-ITX motherboard for FM2+ APUs, I wasn't expecting this :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Aug 2013
  15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Currently the IGP of an APU with overall 100W (A10-6800K) isn't even on par with a HD7750 (55W TDP), far from it. So hoping for an IGP comparable to a HD7850 (130W TDP) isn't very realistic for the next decade to come.
    The second thing is DDR3 vs GDDR5. The AMD APUs IGP is heavily bottlenecked by the DDR3 as most tests show and the reason why Sony chose to go with a unified GDDR5 approach for the PS4.

Kaveri is rumored to have the same core-performance as a HD7750, but then, the new Kaveri-APUs will only have 384 SPUs vs. the 512 SPUs found in a HD7750 and the APUs will still only have DDR3 vs GDDR5 on a dedicated GPU.

The next gen of dedicated GPUs from AMD is not far away either, so we'll probably see a successor to the HD7750 by the time the Kaveri APUs are available for retail.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

APUs are great if you require the all in one package. If you can fit any form of dedicated GPU like a cheap 7750 you will get better performance than you would from any APU on the market currently. And if your budget is £100 for a dedicated gpu you will blow away any Onboard APU.

The lack of Gddr 5 for the GPU is a major performance defict due to the memory bandwidth alone.

Recently had this discussion with a friend of mine who needed a new gpu for his kids computer he was considering buying the AMD package then kinda relised what it would cost so he just brought a second hand 580 for 5 - 6 times the GPU performance on an old i5 750 cpu chip. ( only 720 resolution so no cpu holding back performance)

17. GuilleAcoustic

Kaveri will have up-to 512 GCN SPUs (compared to 384 VLIW4 with Trinity) :). This is a great thing, and I'll be more than happy to have a thin ITX rig with that amount of performance. The only problem is that GDDR5 will prolly be OEM only

Last edited: 12 Aug 2013
  18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

My biggest concern is still the CPU-part of the AMD-chips. It simply isn't anywhere close to the performance of what intel offers.

If we look at system-performance vs powerdraw vs cost for small miniITX-systems, then an intel CPU + HD7750 is still the best we can achieve currently. And it would be even better if there would still be CPUs without the dreaded IGP available.

Here's waiting for the Haswell-refresh next year alongside a HD7750 successor.

19. GuilleAcoustic

Yup, but Intel has nothing to offer on the thin ITX level, that can match an APU. For an XBMC + Steam BigPicture it is perfect. Also, the steamroller is supposed to really improve the multi-threading performance.

i3 + 7750 is still around 200€ and will consume more than a kaveri APU.

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

For an XBMC-machine I'm still running an old Zotac IONITX A-E with onboard GF9400. The whole system draws only 30W from the plug in the wall while watching a BluRay. No need for anything more powerful, if it's only about media-playback of any kind.

The AMD APUs are way too powerful allready for a HTPC, and I'd grab an embedded E450- or Atom-board instead.

What I'm talking about is miniITX workstations for graphics, music and media-editing (mostly Adobe CS in my case) and they profit more from the intel CPUs so far, especially singlethreaded, as there's bascially no software so far making any good use of multithreading besides the 3d-rendering-engines, which I'm not using too often for my work.

For the majority of people all of that is of no interest, as all they'll do is some webbrowsing and office-tasks and for them these APUs are reasonable ofc, but for people who actually work with their rigs, well... intel is the way to go currently.