1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD, IBM develop 45nm high-k metal gate transistor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 30 Jul 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What's needed is a picture of the tip of a biro or something similar to accentuate the sheer smallness of the transistor. For all I know, my cpu could be filled with a billion fluffy bunnies.

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

the tip of the biro would engulf the whole image i believe - maybe a human hair could be put next to it ...

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

From which area of the body?, as they normally differ in thickness.

Lets play Higher or Lower :idea:

5. Nature

Nature Minimodder

The article "logical conclusions" could link it's story to this news of new innovation from intel&IBM, AMD is getting around the corner, whilst intel has nerd scouts for high schools.. They invest so much in their "creative recruitment" and development.

Inel has merely reinvented the Pentium M.... and now shrinking it.

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

A biro tip is too large. They're usually 1mm or so in diameter, so you could fit about 45,000 gates in a line over the visible part of the ball tip. The width of a typical human hair is about 80 µm, making it a bit better for comparison. The gate is 45 nanometres across, making them about 1800 times smaller than that. Here's a rough diagram (it's a large image so that the 2px transistor is visible).

The transistor is obviously larger than just the gate but it gives you an idea of the ridiculous scale involved.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2007
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're talking nanometers, and human hairs are far far larger still. Remember it's HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in the space of your fingernail, and you're seeing only part of one in that picture.

8. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

The other way round to do the comparison is how big would a chip be if the gate or the transistor was the size of a smartie or something.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Holy crap, that's quite small.

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The die size of these 45nm chips is apparently going to be 107 mm2. If the gate was the size of a Smartie, then your Smartie processor die would have an area of be 107 mm2 * (1.1cm / 48nm)2 = about 5.6 million m2 (5.6 km2). Take your pick, but that's either 21,000 tennis courts, 4500 Olympic-size swimming pools, 900 football pitches, or 22 times the floor area of the Empire State Building.

11. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I think the word required here is.... "blimey".. or something to that effect.

So when they design a processor, without any of the actual "designing it" or making it work, just the shear leg-work, it is the same as sorting and lining up enough smarties to cover 21,000 tennis courts! Wowzer!

Thanks for doing the sums :D

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Sorry, quoted wrong.
    New post below

Last edited: 1 Aug 2007
  13. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes, and then connecting them in 3-D over 9 layers :D

Cheers,

Xir

Tags: Add Tags